SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Domain name formats

Hi I discovered that a subdomain has the subname BEFORE the main name of the site, like www.david.mydomain.com Is that correct?

What happens if I wish to have a page named after the domain name, as I often see webpages names, like www.mydomain.com/david

Is this called a subdomain or is it referred to as something else?

Also, can I specify this name as a site to move a webpage to? For example, the google blogspot enables blogs to be setup, and you can specify as domain name for them to go to, can I specify a name like www.mydomain.com/david, or is this not valid for some reason?

Any help with understand this is appreciated.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where you have a path specified after the domain name that is a folder or succession of nested folders within the folder that contains the domain. It works exactly the same way that folders work on your local computer.

To set something up to work as that name just create a folder with the name you want and insert the content there. So you'd create a folder called "david" within the one where domain.com is set up and put the pages you want in that folder. I don't know about using it with blogspot though, perhaps someone else can answer that part.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought i would add the word "directories."
    I also have no idea about blogspot, but i would guess that you cant include directories in your blogspot acc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by canassassin View Post
    Just thought i would add the word "directories."
    I also have no idea about blogspot, but i would guess that you cant include directories in your blogspot acc.
    Nope you can't. If you had your own hosting you could make as many folders as you wished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the first example is correct. The second example is when it's part of the same site, maybe in the navigation bar, but the 1st is when you have another website hosting your website.
    freewarereview.weebly.com- free programs you need to know about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the answers. If I license a program (like for example this very vB forum), for one domain, it seems that this would exclude subdomains (as they are different domains) but it would seem possible to have different sub areas, by using folders and still keep within the one domain rule.

Is this purely a matter of the "rules" or agreement or is there any technical basis that distinguishes sub domains from folders and restricts folders to be lesser that subdomains in some way?

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    sub folders are contained directly within the main folder for the domain. A sub-domain may be a folder within the folder holding the main domain or it may be elsewhere on the same server or even on a completely different server.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">