SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very Basic Service request

My sister, a teacher in Nevada, is determined to set up either a site or blog dealing with a passion she has developed and perhaps selling a few aromoatherapy products. I recommended that she blog it and keep it fluid until she is sure she wants to actually really go for it. I don't doubt her conviction at all but I have become her internet link for all this, lol. My recommendation was that she go with Fantastico or I could help her get a WordPress blog set up in her domain name (which she has). I am a writer and have my own blog, although it appears I can't list it until I post more. (see my "About Me" page) That blog is hosted by a friend, so I am virtually new at this.

This is long winded already concerning the question: What is the best way of acquiring a server and how do I go about it? Like I said, pretty basic stuff. In fact, what is the best way of it all?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are not sure if she is going to follow trough, id recommend a free WP blog.
    You have most of what you need there. And if she proves she is really into this, then id suggest buyig a paclage from Godaddy.

I use Godaddy for myself, and i can only say good things about them.

My 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need to have a full server for that. Just rent a small shared hosting account for starting. Then Wordpress is a good script for blogging. You can create custom skin for Wordpress. Somehow I don't like Fantastico. I prefer installing manually. In fact, Wordpress installation is very easy too.
    Clustered CloudLinux Hosting | WordPress Hosting |
    Advanced Antispam | Managed Xen VPS
    in US West coast and Asia-Pacific datacenters
    Contact us now on Twitter @vietnap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a shared hosting account from a trusted provider such as HostGator, DreamHost, DownTownHost, etc... The price should be affordable as you can go with the most basic plans and still have your needs met. WordPress is very easy to install and I as well recommend against Fantastico. If you need help installing WordPress let me know as I'd be more than happy to take care of it for you.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting, LLC - Hosting over 8,500 domains!
    http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Celebrating 3 years in business!
    Serious Internet Solutions, LLC. - Quality Unmanaged VPS
    SeriousVPS - http://www.seriousvps.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, it looks as simple as I had hoped. I really appreciate your responses. And the "simplicity thing"? I need it, lol.

Thanks again. Steve

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A small problem with installing Wordpress manually for her would be that the regular updates (which must be done as fast the new versions of the software are issued), would most likely end up being your chore, if she's not very technical.

While Fantastico is rather bad at keeping up the latest software versions, I hear that Installatron is not like that at all. Hosts using the DirectAdmin control panel tend to offer it, so you might want to take a look into that.

The Wordpress template... there must be hundreds out there that are free, and should do the job while she's just learning the ropes etc. After all, a blog is more about the text/info (and images in blogs such as yours) than the web design looks.

And the "simplicity thing"? I need it, lol.
    Simplicity? In what sense? It doesn't get much simpler than shared hosting.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simplicity? In what sense? It doesn't get much simpler than shared hosting.

Exactly. I meant to say "this I can do". I expect - and want - a small learning curve I can live with. And yes, I fully realize I will be called on more than once. It will be my turn to act like an expert! There's no down side!

Again, thanks.

SitePoint Zealot webhost.uk.net's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try a shared hosting plan with a good company and check if they offer Fantastico that will solve your blog installation issue as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend MODx if there was someone to code the website. But if not, the best option you have is WordPress. So stick to WP. Another good one is b2Evolution but there are no too many design themes/skins for b2evo. If you need a web hosting I would give you 2 pieces of advice - do not go with anyone who sells "unlimited" and sign up with someone who has a business history... and has been in business for a couple of years.
    HostColor.com
    Colocation | Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting
    Web hosting provider since 2000

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Senore,

It seems that you already have a blog but haven't said how it's setup. If it's on your own domain, it should be easy to allocate a subdomain for her and allow her to play on her own WP with that "space" (without impacting your website).

As for Dan(ldcdc)'s comments, I have found that WP's initial setup can be via Fantastico but it's "easily" maintained by using WP's upgrade files - i.e., visit their website frequently lest you fall too far behind!

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see you here, Senore!

I think you should be asking for a small shared hosting account, one that can support WP (as in allow you to have at least one database) and comes with Cpanel. Good support is important too (via emails should be enough).

I am not familiar with current trends, so maybe folks here can suggest some hosts and plans.
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see you here, Senore!

I think you should be asking for a small shared hosting account, one that can support WP (as in allow you to have at least one database) and comes with Cpanel. Good support is important too (via emails should be enough).

I am not familiar with current trends, so maybe folks here can suggest some hosts and plans.
    I believe that is about time for you to visit web hosting deals section. There are tons of web hosts which can suit your basic (no offense please) needs.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dk, I am hosted by none other than Anat, on one of her servers. She is who has pretty much served as my guru through my internet life. This project for my sister I want to be on her own, entirely, so that she can assume all the responsibilities for her project in due time. I just feel it should be separate, bottom line.

This also allows me to do my learning about this real basic step. I am most definitely historically a writer first and far from a webmaster. Which is not to say I don't want to wend my way in that direction, because I sincerely do. I just know where I'm at, lol. Not quite to first base yet.

All these terrific replies help. In fact, I'll mention what I decide within a couple of days, after talking with Sis. Thanks again, everyone.