SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How to bill for this...?

I was maintaining one of my clients site which was hosted @ rediff and the hosting charge was paid upto 2013. Now due to an issue, they blocked the site and now I had hosted the same site into my server space which i purchased from net4. In this situation, since the clients have already paid for the hosting till 2013 with rediff. do i need to host their site free till 2013 or with a minimum cost.

And here i would like to mention that the issue is cause because of the spywares and trojans that somehow got into my system.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you screwed up the hosting situation. As a client I would expect you would handle the hosting until 2013 given I have already paid you to do so. Well, if I didn't fire you for screwing up the hosting situation on general principle.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If rediff can't be persuaded to issue a prorated refund, given that you are the cause of the trouble, you should cover that cost, whether by hosting this customer's sites, or otherwise (give him the money that he potentially lost).
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends of what kind of agreement you have with your clients. If however you have done something that brought them a trouble with their web host, then you have to compensate them, at least by providing a web hosting for their web site.
    HostColor.com
    Colocation | Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting
    Web hosting provider since 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends, did you place your client with that provider directly and recommend that provider - in that case I would say you should do what you can to cover the client.

If the client insisted upon that provider against your own advice or purely just because they either wanted that provider or wanted to go "as cheap as possible" I'd likely take the stance of "You chose the provider, I don't have control over them."

If it's a valuable customer to you then perhaps you should help them out either way.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting, LLC - Hosting over 8,500 domains!
    http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Celebrating 3 years in business!
    Serious Internet Solutions, LLC. - Quality Unmanaged VPS
    SeriousVPS - http://www.seriousvps.com

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MikeDVB started to express the biggest point here--hosting is cheap [especially when you already have it for other purposes] but customers and goodwill are expensive to replace. I'd spend the few bucks on hosting to keep the customer, even if it was the customer's screw up who got me in the situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strongly agree with the importance of an existing customer and goodwill however you have not clarified the root cause of the ban from Rediff. Was it the customer or the content/behaviour of the site/visitors who caused the issue? Are they likely to repeat it? If so, you may reconsider hosting them as you do not want a ban from your host!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is difficult to say. As for me that was fault of your customer to pay for web hosting services in advance.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting