User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreamweaver CS3 Problem

Hi. I'm very new to web design, and I'm working on an existing site just mostly doing updates.

The problem I'm having is that my latest files in my site folder have broken images, and the template I've been using w/images and links doesn't show in my site folder either. However, they show fine in the web browsers. When I ask DW to validate the markup, it shows tags missing on the template. (This template is used throughout the site)

The things I've done that might have affected it (but I'm not sure), was I installed an external hard drive and copied the site folder to it. While I was installing, however, a screen came up that I thought was part of the software with the drive - memeo auto sync and picassa that I agreed to (I know, not to bright on my part ). Picassa went through every one of my photos in my computer (including my site folder) and did its thing with them. --I've removed this software since.

I also recently have done some file management on the site, grouping archive files by year. I clicked 'yes' on all the update link questions dreamweaver asked, and re-uploaded all of it on the remote site. --But the files are duplicated on the remote site, although it works fine (not sure how to fix this problem either).

Well, anyways, I'm pretty much totally panicked, so if anyone has any advice at all, I really would appreciate it!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, it's hard to say for sure. Most likely your images are no longer in the same folder with regards to the root of your site. Do you have this site online anywhere that you could download again for a fresh copy on your computer?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for taking the time to answer!

The files are stored on the remote site, and I've only uploaded a couple of pages since this has happened. I'm not sure I know how to download them without going through Dreamweaver....I've never accessed them any other way. I think that they automatically overwrite my files in Dreamweaver, and that overwrites the files in my site folder - is this correct? Or should I try going to the website itself?

"your images are no longer in the same folder with regards to the root of your site."

I'm not quite sure I understand this - did the source address somehow get messed up, because the images are there...I've clicked on them. I've even redone the links to the images. It's very odd.

I also wrote the wrong info on my first post - validation shows the tags are missing the id.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've played around with it, and I now got the site folder to acknowledge the template - darned if I have any idea what I did! But the images are still broken, so I downloaded the original site folder that I initially used to set everything up with. Then I went to Dreamweaver and called up an image from that folder. But the current site folder still shows a broken image. I've even looked at the properties of the images, but that does not show anything either.