Thread: Webpage Footer

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Webpage Footer

I've built a website for my company thegermanmachine(.co.uk). From the homepage click on page titled philosophy from the left menu.

If the main block of text in the middle is quite long then a scrollbar appears for that div so you can scroll down.

Is there an easy (or difficult!) way I can make the footer move lower as the text increases so I could get rid of the scrollbar in the div and replace this with a scrollbar for the whole page if need be. The footer is everything under the white line beneath sitemap. German lessons in London etc.... Clearly all 3 colums would need to extend down as well as the middle one.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Guru in training bronze trophy SoulScratch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it seems like you're using absolute positioning and I hate to say it but you may have to re-do the layout, because that is a result of not relying on the native behavior of elements, which is to have them in the flow ( in that they account for each others dimensions ). By making them absolute, you are sorta pin pointing them in a specific location and they do not account for anything before or after.

I would recommend taking a look at some of the layouts Paul has done, here:
    http://www.pmob.co.uk/

The standard pretty much is to have a header division, followed by 3 columns which can be floated and set to a specific width, then have a footer element which "clears" the footers ( breaks the floating/flow by appearing on the next line ).
    Cross browser css bugs

Dan Schulz you will be missed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thanks for that. I'm using the 3 column fixed width example and have managed to alter the column widths ok. Is it possible to make the footer float up from the bottom of the page when there is not sufficient content to push it down? That is, for Paul's example --3colcentred_2a-- the footer is right at the bottom. Can this be nudged up 20px or so?

I've tried changing a few settings but can't seem to manage this.