User Tag List

View Poll Results: Jpeg XR will...

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Certainly succeed!

10 19.23%
  • Probably succeed!

13 25.00%
  • Never succeed! at least in the near future!

19 36.54%
  • I am not sure!

10 19.23%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New paint supports alpha channels I think

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bace View Post
    they could feature it in their newest version of windows? this would boost the use of these images massively if for example the new version of Paint will have the standard saving output set to the new JPEG format.

just a wild theory that is not based on anything at all.
    Windows Vista and above have native support for it in there default set of applications like Photo Viewer and Explorer.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Enthusiast flamenco-uk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have personally found the "wavelet technology" of JPEG 2000 extremely satisfactory for photographic archiving. The problem is there was never a widespread perceived need for good image compression, hence its practical implementation foundered.

What we need from any new compression algorithm is widespead implementation across multiple platforms (user agents, operating systems and progs)

Somehow I am doubtful this is going to happen any time soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some intense discussions here, which I do appreciate.

But as a freelancer, with a Nikon d300 as my tool, because I can't afford a d3, at the moment.

I keep my original raw as the main, and use lab, to manage output from there.

It could go to glossy mag, and I apply a 300dpi CMYK converted image, with colour settings for press. But if I want to go to web, video, or any other medium like CD Rom or DVD, there has to be lossy. In my job, here in Australia, it's all about bandwidth, I just have to make it as good as I can make it to deliver it on time.

If I could send my 35 Mb image through the pipeline at the time required, to my my client at our speed down here, I would stick with lossless, this is yet a dream in my circles.

I am certainly going to experiment with the new format, to see if we can surpass the PNG, with the transparency factor to boot.

Thanks Dark.

Would love to hear from you on that one.

Kai.
    Last edited by Kai Gusto; Feb 4, 2009 at 23:34.
    Peace on Earth. Please...
    Tuts:1 2 3 4

Beside myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    It would have to offer significant benefits over PNG for it to get anywhere.
    this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When is the last time a standard introduced by Microsoft has gotten past everyone just agreeing to accept it so Microsoft will shut up about it and the standard just silently fails because nobody actually uses it ?

People don't seem to be very happy with Microsoft these days, even a great standard is probably going to get shot down because of the way Microsoft does business.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has Microsoft's money behind it as well as their development team. A royalty free SDK this free should help spark interest. It has the support of the JPEG countries, add to that Adobe's support and we have winner.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joebert View Post
    When is the last time a standard introduced by Microsoft has gotten past everyone just agreeing to accept it so Microsoft will shut up about it and the standard just silently fails because nobody actually uses it ?

People don't seem to be very happy with Microsoft these days, even a great standard is probably going to get shot down because of the way Microsoft does business.
    I have been in the computer industry over 20 years. There has always been people not happy with Microsoft and there probably always will be. Someone once told me that everyone loves a winner but no one likes the smartest kid in town. It's open for debate as to who is the smartest and who is a winner as well.

Microsoft appears to be very open with with this technology. If JPEG XR doesn't succeed it will probably be because too many people are stuck in the mud and afraid or stubborn to adopt a better way.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NokX View Post
    JPEG is implemented a lot more widely than PNG, not just because it works on the web, but because it works on digital cameras as well. Keep in mind that the P in JPEG stands for Photographic. JPEG - Joint Photographic Experts Group.

I have several digital cameras, none of which support PNG.

Sometimes PNG is the way to go, other times, it's GIF, JPEG, TIFF, PSD, AI, etc, etc, etc..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To comment on the original question, "Do you think it will have any success?".

I would say "yes". My reasons being, the large majority of people using Microsoft products. Not that this means it is a great format, but it would attract the average Jo who is familiar with Jpeg and all it's support on this platform.

Is it better? "No". It is still a compressed image. The purpose of the image would determine if it's better. So maybe "No" is a bit harsh. I voted it would probably succeed for these reasons.

With some of the ISO standards in colour today, and labCIE, we will have device dependent RAW files for quite some time yet. There is an importance of archiving these high end images, and they would be treated like priceless pieces of treasure to retain all the information possible.

Even Photoshop which has quite a good converter of the RAW files from many devices would throw away some of the information (ie 12bit to 8 bit/16bit).

Great format for some uses, but certainly not the format I would use often to hit home here.

Kai
    Peace on Earth. Please...
    Tuts:1 2 3 4

Beside myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think it will took several years before this will be universally accepted by different systems or software. such sudden change!
    SEO + Web Design = Bringing your business online.
    oes tsetnoc = Skills Contest

SitePoint Member alnieves@yahoo.c's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

I wonder whats wrong with actual jpeg so they have to reinvent to jpeg mx rx dx or whatever??

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alnieves@yahoo.c View Post
    I wonder whats wrong with actual jpeg so they have to reinvent to jpeg mx rx dx or whatever??
    Have you read the posts above, particularly these by mmj? There are a few drawbacks in the current JPG format, as well as a few things that could be improved.
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As most developers and photographers use photoshop the trick will be convincing Adobe and most camera makers to accept any color space changes in the format and then make it seamless to utilize and deploy.

But the day Microsoft makes a product that does not suck will be the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to tell. According to wikipedia it has alpha channel support though, which I think would be absolutely necessary for it to catch on for the web. Another format without alpha channel support just wouldn't be useful enough.
    my photo sharing experiment: http://www.imaginalaxy.com/