SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are incentive linking competitions okay with google..?

Hi Everyone,
    With all the trouble with google and selling liks i was wondering what people thought on incentive linking.. Is it okay with them do you think, or is the same as selling links even though no money is exchanged...? eg

Every month this blog receives a large number of high quality url pings from other blogs referencing my posts.. What I wanted to offer is this to those doing this, every month I will award a winner to those that url pings me the most.. Basically speaking those that reference more of my monthly blog posts will recieve free month of advertising and a blog post that has the most pings to me in a month..

I was thinking about offering this to my readers and those that ping me regulary however if it is going to get me google slapped for promoting links to my site then it is not worth it... Does anyone know if this is a violation of google terms etc...

Thanks in advance for any replys..

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That incentive would clearly be aimed at manipulating Google's search results by artificially inflating your links. I would say that carries the same risk as buying links. Selling links gets ya a slap, your toolbar PR lowered without affecting your rankings. Buying them, actively manipulating the rankings, can bring much harsher penalties than that... like not ranking for anything at all.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly, John Chow used to do something very similar on his blog (link to me I link to you in a post type deal).

Google eventually slapped his blog down a bit but at that point it really didn't matter because he had made his "name" and didn't rely on google for traffic as much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    If I remember correctly, John Chow used to do something very similar on his blog (link to me I link to you in a post type deal).

Google eventually slapped his blog down a bit but at that point it really didn't matter because he had made his "name" and didn't rely on google for traffic as much.
    Yeah true, i remember the case with john chow and i can see how it is almost the same.. It really depends on what you want from your website though i guess, but yeah it sounds a bit too much like a risk lol..

One More Question thanks for the replys so far by the way..

Do you think it is almost borderline with blogs doing it with comments...? Blog Commentor of the month, its not really asking for links but is getting more action on your website so chances of more links is highly likely.. What do you think..?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very soon I guess google will start to penalize that type of link building. My advice is, just build links naturally.