SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Where do you develop your sites?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Localhost

24 70.59%
  • Private IP network

5 14.71%
  • Remotely

5 14.71%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do you develop your sites?

Localhost - You run a webserver on your workstation and access the site via http://localhost/ or http://127.0.0.1/

Private IP network - You run one or more webserver boxes on your internal LAN, and access the sites via hostnames or IP addresses, eg http://192.168.100.51/ or http://webserver/

Remotely - You have a webhost account where you upload your scripts for testing.
    Wormly Server Performance Monitoring
    Don't wait for an SMS at 4am. Find out what's really
    going on and fix the problem. www.wormly.com/website-monitoring

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Private IP network - most of us have an old dusty pII box under a desk or in a cupboard somewhere. It doesn't take much (money or smarts) to put linux and a $10 network card on to it, and call it a web server. I'm not super technically minded (more designer) but I actually found it fun. Apache, MySQL and PHP were already installed. I haven't even got a monitor attached to that box anymore (a 1996 model 133 Pentium). Runs beatuifully. Haven't needed to reboot it since November last year.

I've used Localhost a bit, but it's kinda annoying if you're working on a ferw projects at once.
    Last edited by AlexW; May 9, 2002 at 23:05.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    localhost... so much more convenient for smaller projects (which is all i do )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usually i tried to make a duplicate setup of the server where it will be put after the development. defenitely localhost or 127.0.0.1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    number 1 and two at the moment... although IIS on XP is having it's troubles (i'm not sure if it's my code or somthing to do with it cos I keeps dying)...

I have a P200/96m ram with linux mandrake on it, i was thinking of scrapping that and putting redhat on a some stage

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    localhost. although it could be "Private IP network" if i'm on a different system than the one with the Web server.
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    localhost....some days it truly sucks though, to have to keep opening IIS and reassigning the webroot....

platinum, i have XP pro and IIS runs fine. it was crashing alot when i was using CF studio 4.5, but i upgraded that to cf studio 5, and IIS stopped crashing.

so, maybe its some other software you're running thats hogging the same memory that iis is hogging

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run redhat on my first intel machine, a P200 (it does in fact have a 3dfx Voodoo 3 in too now that I remember but considering I usually ssh to it when I do most stuff it hasn't had much of a work out of late ) Apache virtual hosts and a quick alteration to the hosts file in the windows root dir and you've got http://sitename.linuxbox which is great. I cheat a bit and use Samba to mount htdocs as a network share under windows and that speeds things up no end.

I used to do localhost (on windows) but it just got too tedious with the differences between developing sites on Windows that where to run on Linux, its great to get the webserver and the rest of that off your development machine too.

Plus, its fun (for the first few hours anyway) to try and get everything to work together properly
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomatoe is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Localhost for me, Apache, PHP and MySQL. I am just about to setup Perl as a part of the package as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by nagrom
    maybe its some other software you're running thats hogging the same memory that iis is hogging
    I have 1GB of DDR ram -- and it never fills up I was thinging maybe i didn't close one of my ASP scripts properly.. dunno though, they are pretty stright forward

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Localhost 99% of the time (other 1% on live server for more realistic server load testing). Until it works locally, no point in messing about with live/remote server.....!

CORRECTION: That is during the heavy development phase anyway - once a project nears completion then fixing, tweaking, and real server testing becomes the order of the day, so the focus switches to live server testing.

M@rco
    Last edited by M@rco; May 11, 2002 at 18:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the moment I'm using localhost, phpTriad on win2k.
    I usually reboot to linux and do my work from there, but that's become a bit tedious, especially when I need quick access to Photoshop. I think I'll go with the Private IP deal since I've got a P3 866 lying around that just needs a CPU fan. It's a real pain changing paths when I upload from Windows to the Linux host.
    Last edited by Seer; May 10, 2002 at 20:42.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upload everything to a test directory to the web.

It's faster to work locally, but I just don't like that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll probably just put in a clarification to the question.

In cases like Marco's, we would probably call moving your site up to it's host server 'pre-launch tuning', or maybe even a 'soft launch'. Few sites are pixel-perfect before they are uploaded to their host, so it's just a matter of how close they are to finished when you decide to upload them.

When we say 'remote development' we are talking about developing on an online server that is purely dedicated to your development process - A live testbed that houses the site during development (perhaps a free hosting account) until it is moved to it's real home on completion, where upon the development server is wiped (hopefully backed-up first) and re-assigned to a new development.

Does anyone use that process to develop their sites?
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    definitely localhost. always localhost.
    But when my development box decides to die, i switch to testing my scripts on a private net, if both decides that they hate me and stops working,
    i switch to uploading everything on the "primetime" server.

-rsdl

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done some remote site management. One contract I go had a number of edit features directly in their website. This live affect was convenient so I used it 50% of the time for debugging etc...

For my intranets. I program everything localhost. Which happens to be the live server too. Until I find a dedicated box to my liking the intranet sever will stay on my local machine and run through a dns server
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always use localhost. I have Apache and Perl running on Windows, and use it to test everything. Being able to see that SSIs and scripts work offline is very useful for places where flat rate internet access isn't availalbe. If I had to be connected for long periods during the day, costs would be much higher.

The only thing I don't have running yet is a proper database server. When I need to test SQL, though, I just use DBD::CSV which supports the basics. Its not really suitable for big projects, but handy enough all the same.

-Aonghus