SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What should I use for user authentication/management?

Hi all,

I'm planning to launch a website that will have a lot of searchable content, but that will require user authentication to login. Once a user is logged in, the user will be able to rate content up or down, and post comments on content (Digg-style, but different content realm). I'll be using JQuery to make the front-end pretty, and am familiar with PHP. It's been about 4 years since I did user authentication and at that time I used a homemade solution which was quite troublesome.

It's also possible that I will want to link the user accounts to a forum. Are there any PHP user authentication classes that would be suitable for such a website? Thanks for your time.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest writing your own, no matter how troublesome your last attempt was. If you write it yourself and something goes wrong, you know exactly where to look. Those situations are always better if your familiar with the code yourself. I recently made a user class for a framework that contains the log in/out functionality. The meat of the functions was quite simple - just a SQL query to make sure that the account/password match. Then I store the logged-in status in a session variable. The user class has a isLoggedIn() method that simply returns this variable (if it exists - if not it returns FALSE). It's worked out great so far and wasn't difficult to build.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Arrrms, I just needed a little push in the right direction, and you gave it to me. I'll do it myself, then.

Thanks again.