SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't boot XP Pro from bootable floppy...

I'm trying to perform a clone of my hard drive to a second HD I just installed in my PC with Norton Ghost 2002. (I'm running WinXP Pro, and this is supposed to work)

I had to install a new HD because the Samsung unit that came with my 3 week old Dell Dimension is going out. Dell even sent out a new tower, but I don't want another problematic HD.

Anyway, Norton says I'm supposed to use the Ghost program to make a bootable floppy disc from, which I did with no problem.

Then they say to leave that floppy in the drive, and boot up the PC from this floppy, and Norton Ghost will start up automatically. This isn't happening though. My PC is booting up normally, like it always does and there's no sign of Ghost starting up.

I went in and checked my drive sequence, and drive A is the first (which should be correct according to the Dell dude....) I've also made a bootable disc using DOS, and MS-DOS and neither work.

Anyone have any ideas about what would cause my system not to boot from my floppy?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, is your system reading your floppy drive (accessing it before it starts the normal boot process)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked and the drive sequence shows drive A as being first, which is the default setting from the factory.

I may just have to attempt to install my O/S onto drive E, shut the PC down, and go into the tower & make that drive the default drive (and dis-connect the other drive altogether), then just start from scratch with all my programs. I hope it'll boot up like that. If it doesn't, I can always hook up my original drive as the default drive to restore my system.

This is sure a lot of trouble after spending $2300 for a brand new system. This is THE last Dell I'm ever buying!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had no problem with my Dell.

affordable website design

:: sydney australia ::

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem I've had is with the cheap HD they put in, and the un-informed tech support personal. They don't even listen half the time when I call them. It's like they're doing something else, & helping me is kinda a side thing.

I'll never buy another one.
    When ever it comes time to get another PC, I'm getting me a kit & building my own. At least I'll know it's done right.......

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Windows XP uses a special boot disk, you need download the file to make XP boot disk. You can download the file for the Microsoft web site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx....

That sounds like a good idea. I'll go scope out Bill's site & see what I can find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres another place you can download from.

http://www.mirrors.org/archived_soft...m/original.htm