SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to learn Drupal

I donated my time to a non-profit organization to create their website. The president wants to have a blog, so I figure this is a great time for me to learn Drupal.

I have a few e-books, but they seem to be focused on more complex issues than I need to deal with at this point.

I need to learn how to create a few static HTML pages and integrate a blog. That's it.....very simple site.

Anyone have any recommendations on books or websites where I can learn how to do these?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried Drupal. I really like it but then I „discovered” Wordpress. And I must say WP is much more easy to learn.
    I would suggest WP if you just need a blog and some static pages – there’re also more nice templates for WP.
    Obviously you can still use Drupal – it’s really great CMS.
    Both you can learn from theirs sites – there’s plenty of documentation.
    Warsaw - the city that survived its own death.
    EMM8 - Profesjonalne Strony Internetowe
    Projektowanie Stron WWW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion Drupal is alot more complicated to work with than WordPress. The blogging functionality of Drupal is not as solid as WP. Go with WordPress. You'll thank yourself.
    WebDesign.fm - my web design blog
    Web Design Inspiration Do Follow Blogs

Follow me on Twitter - Russ Adams

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the Drupal approach would be better for an organisation - unless the president wants to be the only blogger.

Other benefits of Drupal are that it is easy to have a private area, to create different user levels (i.e. can post comments, with/without moderation, postingto forums, viewing items etc)it is very configuarable. You may find that you are limited with WP. I used Drupal for my most recent project, and the client is pleased. The main thing is that it is easily extended. If they want a forum later, or more blogs, or directory, cart etc. all these can be added.

How to learn? Set up the core files - this will allow you to set up a blog, forum post pages, stories. Play with blocks, look at additional modules - views, etc.

Best way to learn is to build a site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After doing some reading, I think Wordpress might be the way to go for this project.

Thanks for the advise guys.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably best. My advice then is find a Wordpress theme that you like, then build the blog in a subdirectory, e.g. blog, and then use the blog template to build the static pages in the root. That way you ensure the same theme throughout.

It is much easier to find a theme you like for Wordpress and modify, then convert to a static page, than it is to do it the other way around.