SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Trojan horse agent_r.JG and slow computer

Hello

I found a Trojan virus on my computer yesterday.

I scanned my laptop with AVG 8 free edition and discovered that there's Trojan horse agent_r.JG C:\Program Files\Acer GameZone Big Kahuna Reef 2.

I never opened the game, it came with the computer when i purchased it. I also did a search online, and it seems like others have the same problem.

I think i got rid of the virus but my Laptop is very slow, especially the internet.

I am not sure if this could be because of the virus. I have Spybot search and destroy installed on my laptop to. But i have no firewall. I will install Zonealarm today.

Is there a way i can be sure that i am totaly free of the virus?
    I scanned my pc again with AVG and it was ok no Trojan, but it is still slow.

And is there a way i can speed up my Laptop without having to reinstall everything?

Kind regards

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure it's the laptop that's slow and not your Internet connection ?

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are both slow.
    The internet might be slow because of the connection.

But i am worried about my Laptop it is also slow.
    Could it have been the Trojan? Or might it be something else?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude... it could always be something else.

I had two trojans on my computer before. When I cleared them up, I didn't have any reduction in performance. My sister had one on her machine too, and as far as I know, when she cleared it, she was back to 100% also.

If you disconnect your Internet, does your computer begin running at full-speed again ?

What if you uninstall that game that had the infection and delete all its files ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try another antivirus... I was using AVG free but yesterday my computer get infected with a worm... AVG was unable to even detect it... now I have installed "avast" anti virus and its working just fine...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion is the remove spybot search and destroy and avg. Reformat the laptop and install good antivirus like kaspersky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice.
    I deleted all the game files and ran another scan it seems to be clean. I also installed ZoneAlarm. I didnt have a firewall before so i am not sure if that might have also been the problem. My laptop is working fine now. Thanks again

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so it probably was something else then.

I've installed a small application called HijackThis! on my machine after the last virus some years ago.

It scans your registry for EVERYTHING that starts up when the computer boots up. The good and the bad.

I check the good and add them to HijackThis!'s ignore list.

I also do the same everytime I add a new software.

This way, whenever something nasty comes up (detected by AVG's "Resident Shield"), I run a HijackThis! scan to block its activity and let AVG delete it.

If you choose to do the same with your own computer, USE WITH CAUTION.

Because if you block something important from starting up, you may well ruin your machine.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for sharing the information.

Many people suggest you to do the removal manually by deleting files, folders and registries that associated with virus. But please don't do this if you are not a computer expert. Once you have deleted the wrong file, you will get more trouble with your operating system such as blue screen of death or crash suddenly.

The safest way how to do trojan horse removal is by installing the best spyware removal. It's not just more safe, but also easier and faster. What you have to do is just to do one single click to scan through to your PC and repair it. By doing this, your computer will free 100% from this spyware and I can guarantee you that your PC can run faster.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hijack this and trojan remover are both good programmes, avg isn't very good at ferreting out trojans especially if they are binded with something else, ie as in your case that game that was installed.

Shaun, in most cases disconnecting your pc from the internet will not make any difference in performance on your pc or laptop as your internet connection is the crappiest thing you have, even downloading at 10mb aint gonna warm up your cpu let alone slow down other applications.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you to DOwnload lighter weight antivirus software which can help your pc according to your laptop configuration .

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Avira antivirus to scan and remove viruses but uninstall avg first. A good second opinion after scanning with Avira antivirus is MalwareBytes or VIPRE antivirus.

They're both good for malware detection and removal.