SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WordPress - Capital Letters in URL's + Mixed .htaccess Files

I recently launched my first WordPress site and am trying to figure out a strategy that I can apply to several websites. I'm wrestling with two major problems.

1. I just discovered that WordPress uses all lower case letters for post URL's. Each of my websites has sections named World and Topics, and the individual dynamic pages use capital letters (e.g. MySite/World/Spain, MySite/Topics/Politics). I've already created dynamic pages for all the world's nations and the fifty U.S. states. So I hate to create a new page at MySite/World/spain, when MySite/World/Spain is already registered in the search engines.

2. I'm trying to decide if I should use WordPress throughout each site, or if I should only apply it to certain sections. For example, imagine a conventional CMS featuring the sections MySite/Topics and MySite/World, with dynamic URL's for each section controlled by an .htaccess file in the site's root directory, as usual.

Then imagine using WordPress to create a new section (e.g. MySite/Talk) at MySite/Talk. I would either have to add WordPress code to my .htaccess file, or insert a new .htaccess file featuring WordPress rewrite rules only and insert it in the MySite/Talk folder...except WordPress doesn't really create a folder for a new directory.

Have any of you modified/hacked WordPress to create post titles that feature capital letters? If so, how do you do that?

And have any of you done the mixed .htaccess file thing, either placing conventional mod-rewrite rules and WordPress code on the same .htaccess file or creating separate .htaccess files for conventional CMS setions versus WordPress sections?

Thanks.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you check the robot site in my sig it is half wordpress and half not.

You can use additional rewrite rules apart from the wordpress ones in htaccess

In fact that's what I would probably do in your case by the sounds. Just use the wordpress lower case urls and add a bunch of rules to htaccess to redirect calls for the old page names to the new ones.
    |
    Add Your Robotics site to my Robot Directory: submit
    |
    Add Your Las Vegas Website to my Las Vegas Directory: submit

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyCash View Post
    if you check the robot site in my sig it is half wordpress and half not.

You can use additional rewrite rules apart from the wordpress ones in htaccess

In fact that's what I would probably do in your case by the sounds. Just use the wordpress lower case urls and add a bunch of rules to htaccess to redirect calls for the old page names to the new ones.
    I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. Are you saying I should display a post at MySite/World/spain, then use some code in my .htaccess file to forward visitors to the same post at MySite/World/Spain?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I misundertood... I was thinking you had existing pages with Capital Letters in the URLs and wanted to convert that site to run on wordpress.

If that is the case, i was suggesting you republish the content in wordpress with the lower case URLs then add a bunch of lines to your .htaccess file like this

Redirect 301 /Path/To/oldfile.html "http://domain/path/to/newfile.html"

That way any existing inbound links, link juice and pagerank is transferred to the new pages.

I don't think hacking wordpress to use uppercase URLs will be straightforward.. and doing so will mean you will need to redo it for each wordpress version update.
    |
    Add Your Robotics site to my Robot Directory: submit
    |
    Add Your Las Vegas Website to my Las Vegas Directory: submit

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. Thanks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wordpress is hacking the version theyre using to accept capital letters. it cant be that hard. do anyone have a solution yet?
    Turn your web traffic into money!
    Traffic2Money.com
    Website monetization tips!