User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MySQL Install Question

Hi guys

Please bear with me, as I'm very much the newbie here.

I've recently bought and started Kevin Yank's book 'Database Driven Website using PHP and MySQL. When I say recently...I'm on page 3! (3rd Ed). When installing MySQL to my home PC it seemed to be going ok until I got to:

"Once the wizard completes, there's one vital step you need to take care of before you can run MySQL. Open the directory on your system on which you installed MySQL (in my case Program Files), and look for the file named my.ini. Depending on your Windows settings, it may be displayed simply as my. You need to edit this file in order to tell MySQL to use a PHP-compatible password storage format.

To edit this file, simply double-click to open it Notepad or your text editor of choice. Scroll to the very bottom of the file and, on a new line, add this command:

old-passwords"

When I make this change and do a ctrl S this I get the warning:

"Cannot create the C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\my.ini file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct."

When I do Save As and change the type to All Files and try to overwrite, I get:

"my.ini already exists Do you want to replace it?"

I select yes but get the same problem as above.

I only have 1 account on my PC and therefore have administrator rights.

I'm sure this is very basic, but as a complete novice, I'm tearing my hair out. Can anyone help.

Many thanks

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try opening the file, saving elsewhere, delete original then resave my.ini to correct location

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you're running windows vista, you can't save files to the program files directory from within a program. save the changed ini file to your documents folder, then drag it in to the mysql folder. you'll be prompted to elevate your privileges to replace the file.
    Check out our new Industry News forum!
    Keep up-to-date with the latest SP news in the Community Crier

I edit the SitePoint Podcast

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys

I am on Vista and your suggestion worked first time. Apologies for the slow thanks (I have a 'real' job also and am learning in my spare time). However, I guess late thanks is better that no thanks!

I am constantly shocked at how decent people are on Sitepoint!

Fraser