SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to provide Administartion facility to my site?

Hello Community,

I want to create a custom application, without the use of any existing opensource systems or so. But I have worked on various opensources and want to use good features from them. To start with I am working on the design of architecture of the site.

I have worked on two basic administration techniues.

One belongs to Joomla, Where we have an Admin URL, from where we can have a control on the content in the frontend. For this, we have a seperate management of files keeping all in administrator folder that is seperate from frontent files.

Second, we have in Drupal, where there is no such directory as admin and administration on the site is managed as per the Access rights to the logged in user. This is also similar to what we generally have in CakePHP framework, though we can design an admin also in CakePHP as this is just a framework.

keeping admin files may be prefferable for the simplicity of whole system, but that can make things to be done twice, which makes it hard to do modifications.

Now my question is which is a better option of the two techniques?
    Is there any possiblity, where we can combine the two techniques, without getting entrapped in a mix of of things?

Thanks.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no better. It just depends on what your needs are. Personally I like using a separate admin folder to keep certain functions away from that could potentially have drastic side effects if ever there is a bug -- not that there is ever a bug in my code >.> ... <.< ...
    Creativity knows no other restraint than the
    confines of a small mind.
    - Me
    Geekly Humor
    Oh baby! Check out the design patterns on that framework!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer a separate admin system, find it less confusing. Plus I don't like mixing in things like statistics, report-generators, import/export, updates, backups and all that with webpage editing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO this is a matter of choice, but personally I prefer separate admin and first of all different HTML template for admin (layouts with narrow columns are fine for articles, but not for admin tables).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankyou all for your replies. So, I conclude, a Separate admin section is prefferable in general unless some special requirement.
    Also, what I understand is that insite administration may help modifications in short term with lesser work, but may even make it more difficult to maintain the site in long term.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna go on a limb here and say both!

Allow some privlidges for an admin login to the regular site but have an admin 'backend' in a separate directory for the down and dirty stuff like stats, mechanics, dangerous functions/classes...etc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this also is Good Idea, if you can manage and define a way such that, what you need to make accessible straightaway by admin and what should be accessible separately so as to reduce complexity and keep unwanted things away from a page.
    If you are good at doing this, you will get a Good product with all the properties including speed, consistency, easier modifications and even after all a controlled application.
    So, this becomes one of such things that should be used but only in limit.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Imagine you had two clients using your system, would you like them to use and share the same code for admin?

However their output (websites) would likely want to be substantially different.

So I would say separate them.

single admin area (input and control)
    multiple websites (mainly read-only)

Quote Originally Posted by imaginethis
    There is no better. It just depends on what your needs are. Personally I like using a separate admin folder to keep certain functions away from that could potentially have drastic side effects if ever there is a bug -- not that there is ever a bug in my code >.> ... <.< ...
    I'd say consider taking this a few stages further ... use different databases, different permissions, different include_paths, access to different classes.

Think: public website = readonly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it much easier for the end-user to allow editing directly on the front-end. After the user logs in, edit controls could appear on the frontend over their content (on hover, or however you want to do it). If you make a separate "admin area", it creates another separate interface they have to learn. With on-page editing, it's much easier for most clients to understand and visualize.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nods violently.

Yeah, I am a recent convert to the idea of edit-in-place, and am trying to get it to automatically handle different languages too.

I know users are going to love it if I can make it work slickly with a wysiwyg editor, auto-text translation ( auto-urls, emails etc ) and work out the security crinkles.