SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW. Very good Question. I always assumed Black on White was the OBVIOUS standard. I now see the error of my ways.

Thanks for asking the question.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavinco View Post
    I think that some people think that a clean-style means blending all colors too close together. Whereas, one should--imo--keep color ranges together, but not too close. I also think that some "designers" have never heard of a color wheel.

In photoshop, I always figured the best way to stay on the same color range was to pick the primary color (that is not gray, white or black) and, in photoshop, just change the 'h' attribute -- which I always figured the degree just meant height -- to find all other colors on that range. Could be wrong.

When it comes to gray instead of black on white, besides the contrast, the gray looks smoother than high-contrast black. Cleaner. Though, yes, sometimes it does turn out being harder to read.

Ryan
    Upcoming Movies - Movie News. Updated Daily.
    Movie Trailers - Awesome trailer site. Nuff said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could use #f5f5f5 as background(white) and have a #000000 text on it..

It looks fine...
    Uniquely FILIPINO... See how talented and creative Filipinos are.
    http://www.smalltym.com
    Custom Web Designs:
    http://proweaver.com

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casbboy View Post
    the 'h' attribute -- which I always figured the degree just meant height
    It stands for 'hue', from the HSL (hue, saturation, lightness) color scheme.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is easy to read on white background.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aguroyz View Post

It looks fine...
    That's a great approach as well.... Just enough to take the bite out of the contrast but still maintaining sharpness.
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i agree dark grey is easier on the eyes for me...

Timon

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MrMr, have you noticed that some of the posters here say that they use gray on white background, or black on an off white background, but they are still using black on white? hehe

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks to me like mrmr was just interested in having a rant

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grey on white makes my eyes go blurry, my eyes are pretty crap though.

Black on white does it for me. Go Google!

SitePoint Enthusiast Michael Larsson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Styles and designs change just like fashion. So do the latest trend and fashions. Flash was in a sense more popular until the rise of the search engines, esp. google, killed it. Yet a lot of sites still use flash extensively instead of sparsely to add say video effects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aguroyz View Post

It looks fine...
    Or alternatively, one could achieve equally good balance by using #ffffff (white) for background and #464646(slightly dark gray) for text. It is easy on the eye. In fact, it the same the BBC News uses.
    ------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Unfortunately I don't know where I originally heard this information but I do know remember seeing that eye strain resulting from bright white backgrounds (with the background color set at #FFFFFF) can drive visitors away from a page. It's best to choose an off white (even a teensy bit off white) color if you are going to have a white background.

I'm not sure what the OP meant about gray on gray pages. It would have been nice if he offered an example because I have only seen one "gray on gray" site recently and it had bluish gray images behind dark gray text. I did "Google" after the original article I read to no avail. I did find an interesting tool on a Webcredible post.

It's called Vischeck. The tool lets you see what your website looks like to color-blind people, which is good for checking contrast. It'll show how the pages look to three different type of color blind people. It is pretty neat, except some sites don't show up in it correctly/completely. After you enter your URL the simulation link appears under "your results".

I never thought of using a really dark gray instead of black before. I'll make sure to use it in the future.

I have to ask the question. Would it be better to use both an off white background and a dark gray text? (e.g. #f5f5f5 background, #333 text) (Not veteran enough to link. But you can search Vischeck to check it out ^^.)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSimpson View Post
    looks to me like mrmr was just interested in having a rant
    No, it was a rant and an honest question -- which has now been answered, pending proper science.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Bear View Post
    Unfortunately I don't know where I originally heard this information but I do know remember seeing that eye strain resulting from bright white backgrounds (with the background color set at #FFFFFF) can drive visitors away from a page. It's best to choose an off white (even a teensy bit off white) color if you are going to have a white background.

I'm not sure what the OP meant about gray on gray pages. It would have been nice if he offered an example because I have only seen one "gray on gray" site recently and it had bluish gray images behind dark gray text.
    If you follow the "rationale" behind the majority opinion here, and/or you believe that some dyslexics need reduced contrast, then you are better of reducing it by using black text on a gray background. This reduces the transmitted light. Indeed one study recommended as much.

If you want to see gray on gray, look no further! You will see that that is what this very forum uses in spots (although not as bad as some).

I did not post a link to gray-on-gray sites because:
    1) I'm not allowed to post links on this forum (yet).
    2) My normal sites are fine or I fixed them with Greasemonkey long ago.
    3) It seemed pretty self evident -- the site we are on, for example?
    4) I stumble across the worst offenders during random Google searches and typically never visit that site again.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMr View Post
    I'm not allowed to post links on this forum (yet).
    You are now.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Styles and designs change just like fashion. So do the latest trend and fashions. Flash was in a sense more popular until the rise of the search engines, esp. google, killed it. Yet a lot of sites still use flash extensively instead of sparsely to add say video effects.
    i heard flash now works with search engines. (if you treat it right)
    i think there is some info here: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...nalId=tn_16603

4) I stumble across the worst offenders during random Google searches and typically never visit that site again.
    there are not so many "worst offenders" in my opinion.

most just use slight off black text (as you say, like this forum)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I prefer grey text, I think black looks a little old fashioned and not very professional.

I think grey text on white background makes the text look a little more clearer and smooth, and not so sharp on the eyes.

Looks like the majority of people on here prefer grey on white. Looks like SP has made the right choice, and many other sites for that matter, including ours.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seconding the opinions I read here, I too use often dark grey over white background, offering great legibility and softening the high contrast of black over white. As an end user I find this solution more pleasant comparing with the agressive black over white. That's primarily why I start using it so much. And apparently, by mere coincidence, seems to be what someone call "a phase".

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used both black on white and gray on white - I think it has to do with the other colors that are being used on the page and making sure that you don't use to many colors or it begins to look odd.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Any engineer knows that CRT's use less energy showing black than white.
    However, this article reports that LCD displays also use less energy displaying black.

The ramifications are clear: gray text uses more energy than black and thus contributes to global warming and kills us all!**

If you still want to contribute to eyestrain, use black-on-gray text, this provides the same low contrast as gray-on-white but saves energy.

** Al Gore says so.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMr View Post
    Any engineer knows that CRT's use less energy showing black than white.
    However, this article reports that LCD displays also use less energy displaying black.

The ramifications are clear: gray text uses more energy than black and thus contributes to global warming and kills us all!**

If you still want to contribute to eyestrain, use black-on-gray text, this provides the same low contrast as gray-on-white but saves energy.

** Al Gore says so.
    I sincerely hope that was tongue in cheek. I've heard more convincing rational from OPEC lobbyists when they try to talk down alternative fuels. Al Gore indeed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did the math:
    1. CRT monitors save up to 30 watts showing black instead of white (or gray).
    2. LCD monitors save up to 3 watts showing black instead of white (or gray).
    3. There are, conservatively, a billion monitors that display web pages all or some of the time.
    4. If designers darkened their pages to save even 1 W, on average, then that's about 1.7 barrels of oil per second.
    5. That's a supertanker full of oil every two weeks and a quarter of Australia's imports in one year.

Stop killing the planet, people! Use black text.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I'll continue to use dark grey on white and if you're so environmentally aware, I challenge you to use hydro, solar, hydrogen, wind instead of oil

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, I'll use solar. Just send me the $45K quoted for the system and the $35K for permits, inspections, and improvement taxes.

Certified bank draft, please.

Meanwhile, small, easy steps...

Think globally, act on your local CSS!