User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulScratch View Post
    If it's purely #fff in the background then I'd say #333 and anything lighter is a little less readable, I would go with #111 or some hex between #111 and #000. If the background is a little grayer then something like #333 may suffice.

Can you explain why you would go for something between #111 and #000?

What's wrong with #000? If the background is a little greyer, then you need #000 even more than when the background is white...

Guru in training bronze trophy SoulScratch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ihategreytext View Post

What's wrong with #000? If the background is a little greyer, then you need #000 even more than when the background is white...

Hm. You know, actually testing it out it seems that you're right. But I think the decision may vary, depending on what text we're actually referring to and whether it's a heading ( larger size ) , whether it's bold, and other typographic elements that are accounted for. I think the main reason people choose this is to be different, in that they want a variation and deviate from #000 and #fff so not every single page looks the EXACT SAME way, I guess I'm a victim of this as well.
    Cross browser css bugs

Dan Schulz you will be missed

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh, there really isn't any reason for all the heat, is there? We all know that we are doomed to acknowledge black on white as the most user-friendly variant because ancient Egyptians were completely and entirely mesmerized by cuttlefish squirting black ink right into their faces whenever they tried to capture 'em. I have no clue how you'd react had they, then and there, squirted grey ink. I bet most designers today would have opted for black text instead.

Anyway, I think you have very valid points, ihategreytext, and I - for one - am definitely thinking. Not that I have never given this any thought before. I certainly have. But, from the arguments you bring up, I feel compelled to dive into this matter again and do some proper research on the issue. Your tone, however, reminds of a guy who was inadequately blunt to a woman regarding his wishes on how to spend the rest of the evening. I think he'd have gotten more out of the evening had he been less, what is the word, plump?

On the other hand, I love Dr. House. Hey! Dr. House, is that you? If so, no I don't have any spare vicodin.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A high level of contrast can exist without using the highest contrast possible. I use what the client wants, I give them options, if they like a charcoal gray on white background that is what they get. Not to mention a relatively dark gray still gives a high level of contrast on white. Where's the issue if it is a high enough contrast to read? i've had a site or 2 with gray on white and not once did I get a complaint. Out of curiosity how's your eyesight?

Plenty of sites allow different fonts and colors to be used as well, as for why sites use gray on white......that would be a question to ask the designer of those specific sites. I have no issues reading any of the text on this site and given the size of its userbase I'm far from being in the minority. Now given your attitude I think this will be my only post in this thread as you don't seem to be looking for justification, only a fight. Do you have evidence that using gray on white will drive people away? Remember this site is evidence to the contrary.
    Last edited by tuxus; Feb 21, 2009 at 22:20. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ ihategreytext,

You do realise that you have ultimate control over the stylesheets within your browser (assuming you're using a popular modern browser such as FF etc)? So quit *****ing and learn to set up your own stylesheet to overwrite the grey text that you hate so much.

BTW, stop speaking for most people, the majority of them aren't here to speak for themselves. YOU'RE the one who is pissed off. Actually from what I've read here in this thread, it seems that grey on white with plenty of contrast is acceptable, depending on the situation (i.e. the colours involved). Which brings me back to the ULTIMATE control that you have already over how text appears to you... if grey text is really that terrible then do something about it instead of ranting!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ihategreytext View Post

Can you explain why you would go for something between #111 and #000?

Try 333333 and 666666. For links, try blue and orange, much better in terms of conversion.