SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Database question

My company uses a variety of databases for different means (grrreat...!) Ranging from MySQL, Encore, Filemaker Pro and Access. We need to determine the most appropriate database to utilise for the impending new website which will require some database interactivity. They are considering moving their current accounts database from Encore to Quickbooks Pro - will this be friendly enough to down/upload information to the website?

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which one is your company most familiar with. Do you have enough liscences for each. Do you need more liscences. Mysql tends to suit 90% of the web projects I have seen.

You have to decide how large this project will be and how many people will visit. This is the only way to decide. At this point I would say mysql...
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

\m/ R.I.P. Dimebag! \m/ JimBolla's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for the love of god, stay away from quickbooks pro 2002 programming. you will end up wanting to find another job if don't.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My choice would go out to either Access or MySQL, depending on the scripting language the company is planning on using. For a PHP-driven website, I would go for MySQL, for an ASP-driven website, I would go for Access.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not SQL server2000 mark T?
    Spartan
    ---------------------
    It's like our sergeant told us before one trip into the jungle. Men! Fifty of you are leaving on a mission. Twenty-five of you ain't coming back.
    -Mr.Payne

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a few reasons actually, but mainly because it is not in the list of databases Caroline provided. I could have named PostgreSQL as well, but it wasn't in there too. And second, I wouldn't choose SQL Server because it is a little too expensive for me .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as far as relational DBs go, what would you say is the best?
    ... not concidering price or lisencing issues..
    Spartan
    ---------------------
    It's like our sergeant told us before one trip into the jungle. Men! Fifty of you are leaving on a mission. Twenty-five of you ain't coming back.
    -Mr.Payne

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i couldn't say anything about priced databases (meaning you've to pay for them... my English's failing me ) cos i can't afford them and never used them but for free... but for a good free database engine, i'd say PostgreSQL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only worked with SQLserver 7 and 2000 and oracle and access

never even heard of PostgreSQL
    Spartan
    ---------------------
    -Mr.Payne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PostgreSQL is a sophisticated Object-Relational DBMS, supporting almost all SQL constructs, including subselects, transactions, and user-defined types and functions. It is the most advanced open-source database available anywhere
    www.postgresql.org -> goto any mirror

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your thoughts on MYSQL??
    if you had to compare the two (PostgreSQL)
    Spartan
    ---------------------
    -Mr.Payne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MySQL sacrifices some functionality for speed (some features will be in MySQL 4.0 though)... PostgreSQL is very scalable and is almost full-featured (transactions, subselects, views, and so on)

i'd say more but i'm in office right now and don't want to be caught

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    coool... Much the same situation this side, except my boss is on a .NET seminar...

cheers
    Spartan
    ---------------------
    -Mr.Payne

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL!

If anyone can tell me the difference between postgres and postgresql I'd be mighty interested

I know that postgres seems to support almost everything SQL Server does, and sometimes a bit more.

I was absolutely gutted to find out today that you can Select Distinct on one column... e.g SELECT DISTINCT ON (FieldName), FieldID, FieldName FROM tblWhatever - which will return only unique records from the field names, and the ID of the first occurence. Something which would be a lot harder to achieve in SQL Server.

Infact, that query could be achieved easier in Access than SQL Server, although I would NEVER recommend anyone using Access unless absolutely necessary.

I don't personally rate MySQL, although it's fast for most uses. I'd go for Oracle or SQL Server if budget isn't a problem - Postgres if it is (although I'm still looking for more justification than just "I love SQL Server" as my reason for picking SQL Server first ;-) )

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000705.php3

There a direct comparrison. I use Mysql almost exlusively for now. I have yet to find a book that explains most of the advanced features I would like to learn. At some point I will jump to mssql, postgres and oracle. But for now mysql (especially 4) has everything I need.

BTW...ver 4 suports most of the advacned features that postgres does.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your responses. I shall investigate further.. I particularly loved crowdozer's
    But you're a very helpful bunch