SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

virus protection

Hi, In the event of hosting a web program, who is responsible for the security, ie against hackers, virus and the like. Is it the hosting company or the program developer or the person running the website? Also, what is the best thing to do, with personal computers there's anti virus software, but what about the case of an entire website, do anti virus software companies have solutions for entire websites?

Also, I am concerned about the security of the conection between my home computer and the website hosting service of my business website. Any reccomendations? Is the standard issue personal anti virus OK or should I have something more heavy duty given that this is a more business / website orientated problem.

Any help with this is appreciated

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

To my experience, the major responsibility is of the person who technically maintains the website or a Web Master. Because recently i had an experience with one of the major web host service provider who blocked one of my clients website, since they received complaint that a phishing link was set up inside the site. They dint even bothered to inform us that so and so has happened and refused to unblock the website unless we get clearance from CERT.

To check a website against malicious codes etc, refer to the link http://www.ghacks.net/2008/12/16/web...ecurity-check/ and www.unmaskparasites.com. And during a FTP session ensure that it is secure and use a secured FTP clients.

Few of my friends suggested me to use kaspersky ( www.kaspersky.com ) antivirus.

Quote Originally Posted by hookway View Post
    Hi, In the event of hosting a web program, who is responsible for the security, ie against hackers, virus and the like. Is it the hosting company or the program developer or the person running the website? Also, what is the best thing to do, with personal computers there's anti virus software, but what about the case of an entire website, do anti virus software companies have solutions for entire websites?

Also, I am concerned about the security of the conection between my home computer and the website hosting service of my business website. Any reccomendations? Is the standard issue personal anti virus OK or should I have something more heavy duty given that this is a more business / website orientated problem.

Any help with this is appreciated

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend AVG, however I don't think you are allowed to to use the free version in a business, the best alternative would be NOD32, really fast and reliable antivirus software, that or K7 . The only reason I don't run it is because I prefer free Even if the new AVG is a little bloated, with extra toolbars etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cannot compare AVG with Norton ....as it is a FREE AV.
    If you are opting for paid AV, then go with KASPERSKY.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kaspersky has been topping the list as the best anti-virus for many years. The rest of their security suite is supposed to be quite reasonable too.

With your web hosting the hosting provider will be responsible for ensuring the security of what they provide for you to run your site and you will be responsible for the security of what you place on the site.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I'm encountering problems using kaspersky. It's hard to uninstall. Even though you've done the proper way to uninstall it.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does it matter that one compared AV is free and another is not? The point is whether it detects malware or not.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sk89q View Post
    Why does it matter that one compared AV is free and another is not? The point is whether it detects malware or not.
    No one here has been comparing free and paid antivirus programs. They have been comparing the how good the different programs are at detecting and cleaning viruses. While the worst paid antiviirus programs are probably not as good as the best free antivirus, even the best of the free antivirus is only average for virus detection.

Currently all the independent studies of the various antivirus programs all have Kaspersky, BitDefender and NOD32 in their top 5 most effective antiviirus programs. All three of those are ones you need to purchase if you want to use them after any short trial period. Avira Antivir also frequently appears in the top 5 and they do have a free version however it is their paid version that is the one being rated as their free one doesn't scan emails and so is one of the worst choices.

These comparisons have been done by checking what percentage of malware that each actually detects.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    No one here has been comparing free and paid antivirus programs.
    Not markov.

But on the topic of anti-virus, I use COMODO anti-virus, but only because it came with the firewall. I don't really care much for anti-virus. The likelihood of myself getting damaging malware is 2-5x less than myself installing a improperly coded program or driver, according to my experience, and so it's not worth it for me to pay for AV.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with davidfield375, AVG is the best

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I used AVG 7 for a while specifically for antiviirus but had to dump it when they brought out the following version because it didn't work with the other security I was running that was already much better and the AVG wasn't good enough to want to replace all the better security that I had just to get antivirus. I then switched to Avast which seemed to be an even better free antivirus than AVG.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer AVG!