User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast graphical_force's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any money in designing templates

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had any success with designing good wordpress templates for sale? Something like selling to ThemeForest or others or maybe creating your own site to sell?

And I am talking good templates.

Thoughts?

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think there are a few super-users of ThemeForest that are raking in what we'd call, a side income. I'm not sure if you could make an entire living out of just one site. There are also many retailers of premium wordpress themes, and the competition is fierce.

To make a living from selling themes then you have a few choices:

1. Sell your own themes via your own site.
    2. Sell on other more well-exposed sites.
    3. Do both of the above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, more or less I was thinking that it would be extra money. Templates could be developed when I was not working on building sites for clients and sold on visible template sites.

Just wondered what others thought.

Thanks.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why not give away a few themes also? Sites like Smashing Mag jump on stuff like this, and if by that time you have a site of your own , plus a few up on themeforest you'll maximise your lead potential. Free is good, in some ways

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True. That is also a option.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the market is flooded with template design sites. Here if you just go to ebay you can buy thousands of templates for next to nothing so I dont see how a template site can make any real money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now there are many free-of-charge themes.
    It is not enough chances for extra money.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too think the template-design market is a little saturated at the moment.

I'm interested to see if anybody here is making money in that area. Maybe someone will pop up eventually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcaldwell View Post
    I too think the template-design market is a little saturated at the moment.

I'm interested to see if anybody here is making money in that area. Maybe someone will pop up eventually.
    Yes, show me this person!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if there is no real money to be made, the fact that you would have a link to your website would be a nice bonus and that could be valuable.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the same thing. In my opinion it'd probably be best to think of it as extra income unless you were exceptionally great with designing web pages and you included graphics like logo designs as a bonus.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the value in providing top quality free templates is the draw to your own website, where there is either more templates at a cost or other services being offered such as hosting with a tie in discount if a template is purchased.

If you have a good enough take up on a template you can keep them coming back with tweaks and updates to it.

As someone said there are lots of templates on places like Ebay but I doubt these 1000 templates for a fiver auctions actualyl include permission from all the creators to sell them!
    Free2host.co.uk - My longest ever project at 10 years

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is true that many go and search for free stuff and the market is saturated but I think that if marketed properly and directed to the right public, there can be money made out of creating templates. The thing is that you will need to convince your public than buying from yourself is better than getting an free template or that buying anywhere else. But I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. Although the trick here would be marketing.

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Read this: http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2008...ell-templates/
    Plunge into each option and see how it works, and can you implement it easily? etc...
    Estimate how many hours can you work per day? how many days per week?
    Try to calculate how much you could make through a well planned working flow/ month and be objective! Then you will be able to judge by yourself if there's a money in designing templates!! ...For your case!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello,

recently there has been many good themes provided for free.. I think selling themes was working well before that started.... Now I think there is still people interested in re-designing those free themes they get to be unique and are ready to pay for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was poking around ThemeForest recently and noticed a few things.
    One is that they mentioned some users would be eligible for 60%+ commission on their sliding scale (based on sales), which means those users are making significant sales, and the commission would be a large boost to their income.

The other is that many themes have 20 - 30 sales. If you multiply by the price and likely commission rate you'll see that your direct income from each theme is likely to be low, certainly less than you'd charge a client working at an hourly rate to design a custom theme.

Thus, for the top users there is money to be made. For the rest it may be worthwhile in other ways such as exposure, design practice, but it's probably a minor income source only.

Even if you make great themes you'll no doubt have to make yourself visible in the community to build some critical mass.
    mikehealy.com.au
    diigital.com art, design . Latest WorkSaturday Morning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know many good WP designers that sale premium themes and those themes aren't expensive at all. I don't hink there are real niche for this. But if you are really good at this you can probably make a break.
    HostColor.com
    Colocation | Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting
    Web hosting provider since 2000

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to find a service provider that offers blogs to their clients and offer to make a small core set of themes and be available to customize them for a flat rate. I'm having a heck of a time getting my designers to come up to speed on WP templates and would love to have a couple of people to go to who have specialty knowledge of blog template creation and setup. But, we'll have to take that off-line on the p.m.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could prob do ok you might consider partnering with a decent host and doing hosting and sites for people, piggy back off each other.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Tranquility View Post
    Read this: http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2008...ell-templates/
    Plunge into each option and see how it works, and can you implement it easily? etc...
    Estimate how many hours can you work per day? how many days per week?
    Try to calculate how much you could make through a well planned working flow/ month and be objective! Then you will be able to judge by yourself if there's a money in designing templates!! ...For your case!
    How come monstertemplate.com is not included in there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Guys,

I think any business can make profit if they can innovate and bring about change which people look forward to. We at <url removed /> has been making steady profits for last several years and it is growing every month.

If the market is flooded with template site, then you have to do something to stand out. Be the biggest, or be the most customer friendly, or may be offer a specific style of design.

Regards
    Abhishek
    Last edited by DaveMaxwell; Feb 4, 2009 at 07:39. Reason: removed the URL
    My Blog - Business strategy, Usability, India and Ideas
    Submit2Please.com - Manual directory /article submission

Design2Please.com - Hire a full time designer for $1100 /mo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you don't find opportunities because your business plan is concentrated on a saturated market..
    Why wordpress? There are thousands of templates there

Take me, for example: when I start a new website based on a CMS of any kind, my nightmare is having to design myself (I'm a code guy and I hate designing) because I can't find decent templates for:

- Drupal (it's coded much better than joomla, and nobody takes the time to design some decent templates for it)
    - Magento
    - Social engine
    - Vbulletin (ok there are some here, but there's plenty of opportunity)

Why not design THOSE templates? You'd have your fair share of the market and I'd be a happier coder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendothpro View Post
    I believe you don't find opportunities because your business plan is concentrated on a saturated market..
    Why wordpress? There are thousands of templates there

Take me, for example: when I start a new website based on a CMS of any kind, my nightmare is having to design myself (I'm a code guy and I hate designing) because I can't find decent templates for:

- Drupal (it's coded much better than joomla, and nobody takes the time to design some decent templates for it)
    - Magento
    - Social engine
    - Vbulletin (ok there are some here, but there's plenty of opportunity)

Why not design THOSE templates? You'd have your fair share of the market and I'd be a happier coder
    Good point there. There are a lot of other good CMS that are ignored and would love to find templates for. However, market responds to demands not needs.
    NetMaxx.com: WordPress Premium Themes Directory

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kendothpro and avoilia pointed what I said before: marketed properly and directed to the right public, it can be a profitable niche

Even crowded niches have holes, and you need to look for them. The good news in a crowded niche is that many people will be afraid to enter due to the fierce competition... the bad news is ... the fierce competition itself! But it can be done. Trust me. I did it in a much more crowded niche and it worked beautifully. Then I was fool enough to stop it to create the site of my life... which I never finished

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The market is far from saturated. There are many many poor templates. The market is heading to more niche templates... for example lately we seen many admin skins type templates become quite popular.

Wordpress templates are just starting to get big, the wordpress install base is HUGE. Be unique, design a template for a niche... real eastate, insurance, car blog etc. Most templates out there are pretty generic.

I been trying to find nice landing page templates and I can't even find any!

If you are creative at marketing you can make a full time income from templates.