SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A website like the one from Chelsea, Manchester

For the 2nd time we have been asked to make a quote for the design and programing of a website for a professional football team (soccer that is) . Back in 97 I had done something similar and despite that was as a hobby it was pretty complete, that is to say I have some knowledge on what needs to be done.

The funny side of this story is that in both opportunities the people we talked to said that "what we want is based upon Chelsea, Arsenal, Ajax Amsterdam, Manchester United and Liverpool FC websites". And then comes the list of functions they are expecting. We hit a snag when talking about budget. Figures were discussed but they are very low considered to the amount of work involved.

I guess it's hard to find out that information but we were wondering a few things about the top soccer team's website: what is a very rough budget for this sort of website to build and to run ? how many people were involved in the development and are working in the day-to-day activities to keep them updated ?
    Jean-Luc
    Corobori WebDesign
    Working in the Concepcion area, Chile, since 1999
    Follow us on Twitter

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's impossible for anyone to know, or guess. My assumption is that to create the site they spent at least $10000 (I know, probably very short). Regarding the amount of people to run it... it depends on the hosting they have and which information needs to be updated and the frequency. At least 3 persons (one for the server and 1-2 persons to add information, and who knows? maybe an editor to check that the info is correct)

SitePoint Enthusiast bobsmithmoodeyit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get requests like this all the time. Customer wants a website and then they ask for all the bells and whistles a large organisation has put in for little or no budget.

We want to continue building our empire...but it takes money to do so!
    Last edited by Varelse; Feb 5, 2009 at 11:37. Reason: self promotional link removed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read that the new Manchester City website's costs were in the region of $3.2m
    Jean-Luc
    Corobori WebDesign
    Working in the Concepcion area, Chile, since 1999
    Follow us on Twitter

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $3.2m? It look pretty simple...
    Last edited by spikeZ; Oct 11, 2009 at 06:03. Reason: fake sig removed