SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do contributors login to Wordpress?

Does anyone else find it almost impossible to find the answers to questions in the WP codex or forums? On top of that, the moderators at the forum can be downright rude. I digress. I'm soooo grateful for sitepoint. It rocks.

I built my first custom (and ever) WP blog for a friend. She just added an "author" role for someone, but I have no idea where the other or other users are supposed to login. I think it was probably the login link that I deleted from the "links" section.

Please advise. Thanks so much!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to add that snip[pet of code to the template. Depending on the template you use, it is sometimes there already.

Try reverting to the default WP template and look for the login option. From there goto templates and find the code that needs to be inserted into the template you are using.

GL

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ,

I did not use a template. This was a custom design. I could look on another template perhaps. What am I looking for? Meta and then login?

Could you give me an example link to see what it is also?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <?php wp_loginout(); ?>

the above code places the login option in / on the template.

GL

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks much for your help. Didn't realize it was the same login as the admin. I sent her that link but she must have entered the new user's info wrong. I tried it and it works.

Thanks so much again.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thougt all php strings had same css. Any idea why the login isn't showing like the links above it? Here's the site (login is on bottom of right sidebar).

Here's code for sidebar:

<div id="sidebar">
    <ul>
    <?php if ( function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') && dynamic_sidebar(1) ) : else : ?>

<li>
    <h2>Recent Posts</h2>
    <ul>
    <?php $recentposts = get_posts('numberposts=5'); ?>
    <?php foreach($recentposts as $post) : setup_postdata ($post); ?>
    <li><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></a></li>
    <?php endforeach; ?>
    </ul>
    </li>

<li><h2>Archives</h2>
    <ul>
    <?php wp_get_archives('type=monthly'); ?>
    </ul>
    </li>

<li><h2>Categories</h2>
    <ul>
    <?php wp_list_cats('sort_column=name&optioncount=0&hierarchical=0'); ?>
    </ul>
    </li>

<?php if ( is_home() || is_page() ) { ?>

<?php } ?>

<li><h2>Meta</h2>
    <ul>
    <?php wp_loginout(); ?>
    </ul>
    </li>

<?php endif; ?>
    </ul>

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <LI>code</LI>

try that, cant offer much more advice than that.

JT

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You were a big help. That did it. So weird. I was following the pattern of the other bullets. Any idea why this one required an extra <li></li>. I know this is getting into coding.
    Last edited by Sculley; Jan 19, 2009 at 13:42.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most of the others output li tags already, the wp_loginout function doesn't as it just outputs the link and leaves the rest to you, since you could want it to show up anywhere on the site (and most do, depending on the layout).

And regarding the user logging into the same area as the admin, yes, they do, but they are limited to what they can see.

There are a few plugins that can limit what they see even more if you look around at them.
    Roger Stringer
    DBStract - Build a database - Gather data - View it from every angle
    Other Sites: [ 1 ][ 2 ][ 3 ][ 4 ][ 5 ]

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks much!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculley View Post
    Does anyone else find it almost impossible to find the answers to questions in the WP codex or forums?
    Yes.

On top of that, the moderators at the forum can be downright rude.
    Yes and I've never even found a way to contact them directly. No report post button, no PM feature, nothing. Totally silly for a massive forum like that.

I'm soooo grateful for sitepoint. It rocks.
    Me too.

There is another WordPress forum which is due to be launched soon. It's run by Jeff Chandler of the WordPress Weekly podcast. It's not a support forum, so you would still need to post here to get specific questions answered, but for general chit chat or help with developing plugins and themes for the public it will hopefully a good place to go. There's lots of WP developers on there already and it's not even due to be officially launched yet. You can find it at http://wptavern.com/forum/. Gotta wonder why the WordPress.org project can't launch and equivalently well organised forum though.

SitePoint is still and probably will for the near future be the best place to come for technical support for WordPress related stuff, particularly CSS related issues.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So glad I'm not alone. Thanks so much for the tip and the validation. I've always wondered why they can't host a good forum too but I wonder if it's b/c they don't get advertising dollars from anyone? Or do they?

Hey, do you know if I posted this in the right area (or know the answer?): http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...15#post4119215 or is that against the rules to ask while I'm in this forum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally the url for admin login is : yoursitename.com/wp-admin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the reason for lack of a good forum is simply just lack of effort. There resources are aimed at building the software. They've also stuck themselves in a rut by using a bare bones bbPress install. It needs a few plugins in it to be usable for a large scale forum like that. I can kinda see why they want to keep it plugin free as it's a handy way to test the software in a real life environment, but it's really not the sort of software that should be used on a forum of that scale IMO (without adding plugins).

Hey, do you know if I posted this in the right area (or know the answer?): http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...15#post4119215
    I think the broader "Web Page Design" forum would have been a better place. That isn't necessarily a CSS questions since it seems to involve a popup/lightbox type image setup.

or is that against the rules to ask while I'm in this forum?
    It's a bit off-topic, but that's okay I usually just ask in the forum topic itself, and if a moderator thinks it should be elsewhere they can just move it over to wherever it should be.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So enlightening about the WP forums. And so helpful to know others are feeling that way too.

Appreciate your gentle response about my question in the other forum.