User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

notepad ++ is great!

Can you please help out a beginner? ...

So I want to update a website on behalf of a charity..I open up the website pages in Dreamweaver and look at the code ...oh no! in the code window everything is GREYED OUT the dreaded words....
    ><!-- InstanceBegin

so the page appears to be based on a template (uneditable) and it's impossible to edit/delete/amend any of the code ...

I AM STUCK

I go to Notepad++ (never used just sitting there quietly) and open up the website pages wowey and the same pages are actually editable !

Please explain and help me out learning Notepad ++ - the downloaded user manual is WAAAAY out of date ...

cheers guys

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you prefer Dreamweaver, you can just detach the template to make the document editable. I don't remember the exact menu options, but it's something like Modify -> Detach from template.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notepad ++ is awesome, there are tons of sites you can learn about it, just search a little shouldnt be too hard, there are lots of sites.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why you want to use Notepad ++ , when you can do everything in DW, design your pages and then remove <!-- comments tages. carefully.

SitePoint Enthusiast Marcellpurham's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes dreamweaver is the best, because you're learning how to code but in a visual way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Dreamweaver but keep getting this weird error. After I save and preview a page many times, randomly DW will tell me access is denied to save the file. Then, it will prompt me to re-save the file with a new name. If I save the file with the old name, it will tell me I don't have permission and it will delete the file completely! I lost about 2 hours of work because of this error.

If I save it as a new name it's fine, but then I have to re-link the stylesheets and it just gets really annoying. No idea what's causing the error.