SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some advice

I recently decided to create a forum for people of similar interests. Since I am not very seep skilled person in this area (I write articles for different small journals and newspapers, and some essays) I need some advice.

Where it is better to host my site? As I understand paid hosts are more reasonable to deal with and their servers more stable I would not like to deal with free hosts. So the first question is: where would you recommend me to host a site like described?

Then, site needs a domain name, so I will have to register one, but I heard that some companies are offering the domain for free with the hosting plans. Having a bad experience with some 'free' things, which are not really as free as it is described I wanna ask you if it is really as free as it seems? Have you ever got any free domain names?

And the last one - I already asked this question in another place and there people were recommending me various companies of large amount. With some help I pointed out two Marblehost and MMhosting (being a new user I am unable to post links, for the case you do not know what are these companies...) which look more or less acceptable for me. So, the question is: are these providers really worth of trust?

Please note, that I do not want to pay very much 10 dollars a month would be maximum, and also that I know very few information of the hosting principles and technologies, please guide me.

This forum makes an impression of being full of people able to help me, so please I hope for your assistance.

I am leaving today for the place with no computers, and will be back in a week,+/- so please do not delete this thread,if I am silent for too long.

Thanks in advance...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In regards to registering your domain names, I prefer to keep my host and registrar separate. This way if I end up having a problem with my host, I am not tied to them in any real way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktult View Post
    I recently decided to create a forum for people of similar interests. Since I am not very seep skilled person in this area (I write articles for different small journals and newspapers, and some essays) I need some advice.

Where it is better to host my site? As I understand paid hosts are more reasonable to deal with and their servers more stable I would not like to deal with free hosts. So the first question is: where would you recommend me to host a site like described?

Then, site needs a domain name, so I will have to register one, but I heard that some companies are offering the domain for free with the hosting plans. Having a bad experience with some 'free' things, which are not really as free as it is described I wanna ask you if it is really as free as it seems? Have you ever got any free domain names?

And the last one - I already asked this question in another place and there people were recommending me various companies of large amount. With some help I pointed out two Marblehost and MMhosting (being a new user I am unable to post links, for the case you do not know what are these companies...) which look more or less acceptable for me. So, the question is: are these providers really worth of trust?

Please note, that I do not want to pay very much 10 dollars a month would be maximum, and also that I know very few information of the hosting principles and technologies, please guide me.

This forum makes an impression of being full of people able to help me, so please I hope for your assistance.

I am leaving today for the place with no computers, and will be back in a week,+/- so please do not delete this thread,if I am silent for too long.

Thanks in advance...
    First off, welcome to SPF ktult and enjoy your stay.

As for web hosting to get reviews on most web hosting take a look in the SPF's 'Review a Host' section, many members have had many experiences with well known web hosts which will help you to decide.

As for the domain name registering, it is best to register separately from the web host unless you have heard very good reports of the web hosting company that provide both, I know of such one but their are many more to consider.
    "Don't you just love it when you solve a programming bug only to create another."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeap. Do not keep all eggs in the one basket mate. That is important and gives you freedom. Also I would like intoduce webhostingtalk.com forums to you. That is the biggest web hosting guide you can ask your question.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, go to www.domainwarning.com - it'll get you up to speed on what you really need to know about domain name registration (especially why you should not have your domain name registered by your hosting provider).

Once you've done that, look for an ICANN accredited domain registrar to register your domain name. I've personally used www.misk.com (formerly Registersite.com) and www.namecheap.com without any hassles or other problems. For hosting, you may want to look at www.hostgator.com to start. I don't think you'll need anything more than a shared hosting plan, so focus on that. It'll save you money while also giving you the best bang for your buck.

As spence_noodle said though, check out the Review a Host section of the forums along with www.webhostingtalk.com before choosing a hosting provider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose that you need to spend few day with learning existing offers from different web hosting providers. And get some imagination about web hosting and domain name registrars. Dan have placed nice tips to follow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Go for windows hosting - it is better for forums.
    2. Go for paid host.
    3. Yes, we got few domains free initially way back in 1998 and it was bad experience.
    4. Domain must be in in full control of client whether it is a free offer or paid.
    5. No comments about other hosts or registrars

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the contrary, I've found that *nix works very well for forums. I'm curious and would love to know why you feel that Windows servers would be a better fit for the thread starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. This is our own personal experience.
    2. *nix servers are too crowded.
    3. Good forum scripts are ASP.net based which is supported only by windows
    4. Windows servers have less downtime

Regards,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's based on your own personal experience rather than independent third party analysis. Gotcha.

Windows servers can be just as crowded as *nix servers, just depends on the hosting provider and what they are doing with the server.

Many will also disagree with you on your claim that the good forum scripts are all Windows based. Vbulletin and SMF are two great forum scripts that run on both *nix and Windows, all that's needed is an SQL database (preferably MySQL) and PHP.

I'd also love to see some independent, verifiable, third party proof that demonstrates Windows servers have less downtime.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Thanks much!

First off, welcome to SPF ktult and enjoy your stay
    I have forgotten to attend the introduction section, my bad!! Thanks for welcome words and other information about my question.

Now I see what do I need to know and here can I go... I think I shall make a venture with someone who is more skilled than me....

Thnks everyone!! I knew this forum will help me!