SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

using <td>/<td> scope attribute and headers attribute together?

I understand that the scope and headers attributes in <th> and <td> are used to make the information in a table more accesible. Are they used together?

Or do people build tables using only one attribute (scope or headers)?

I do know that you could have multiple attributes for a xhtml element. I'm just asking because i don't know which is better as they both seem to promise one thing (better accesibility).
    Cheers,
    WebonCloud
    weboncloud@gmail.com

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd normally use one or the other, although there's nothing to prevent you from using them together.

Most tables would do fine with just the scope attribute; headers is intended for more complex tables. However, since screen readers have had poor or non-existent support for scope until recently, even simple tables have needed headers for accessibility reasons.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    You'd normally use one or the other, although there's nothing to prevent you from using them together.

Most tables would do fine with just the scope attribute; headers is intended for more complex tables. However, since screen readers have had poor or non-existent support for scope until recently, even simple tables have needed headers for accessibility reasons.
    Thank you so much, now this was something that wasn't explained in sitepoint's html reference.
    Cheers,
    WebonCloud
    weboncloud@gmail.com