SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Download graphic as zip file

I am creating a Press page for a site. What I'd like to do is display a small image on the page, but then when folks click the image, a pop up box appears to download a zip of the same image but in very large format. Like this site..

How do I do this?

Thanks so much in advance.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, i see nothing special with this site - all you need is a thumbnail image for each big image and link that thumbnail to the archive. I would recommend using thumbnails exactly of the needed size as they appear on site.
    A huge list of resources for designers and content producers
    to buy, sell or share stock photo images and other content.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As graphic files are already compressed, this is wasted effort. A direct link to the large image is all that is needed. Then the user right clicks the large image and selects save as.
    As the site you point us at uses frames (!), it's possible that the web designer is not exactly up to date or highly knowledgeable.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dr. John. I definitely noticed the iframes. I'm pretty new though and just wasn't sure the best way to set up a Press page. What do you recommend? What you mentioned? Click on the thumbnail and then go to separate page with anchor link that has all the larger images for them to right-click and download? I've done that in the past but wasn't sure if that was the best method.

What do you mean by graphic files are already compressed?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click on the image and go directly to the larger image, probably on a page with a brief description. And the magic words "Right click the image and select Save As" perhaps.

compare the size of a jpg or gif with a bitmap file -they use a compression algorithm to reduce storage space required. It's a lossy algorithm in each case admittedly, but it's a form of compression. Zip up a large jpg and then view the size of the original file and the zip - hardly worth the effort of putting an extra step in for you to prepare the zip and the user to unzip it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic...rchange_Format
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jpg

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotcha, Dr. John. I'm not sure that I knew that or remembered it about Jpegs. Thanks for the tip about zip folders and not really having to use them. I noticed that they don't reduce them in size, but everyone asks for them. Thanks for that.

I will take your suggestion. I know these are silly questions, but they drive me batty....would you put each image on a different page or all on one page with anchor link that takes them right to that image? And, would you put them on a blank page or use the DW template to make it look the same as the other pages?

Actually, I thought Press people wanted very large images. A PR person at a company I worked for told me that. She asked me to make the large jpeg on the site VERY large. If I do this, it's just way too large for the page. That's why I was wondering about the zip file.....so I didn't have to put such a large image (and so many) on the page.
    Last edited by Sculley; Jan 14, 2009 at 09:52.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got it, dah. No pages needed. Just a link. Dah again.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However I wouldn't discard the .ZIP option, to provide a regular and download action saving the explanation "right click, save as". Some people will still click straight and load the image.