SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy IE5 Mac Browser Problem - Blank Page - Need Help!

I have gotten several comments from users that the below page only shows the background in IE5.1 for Mac:

http://www.sentoa.com/store/tropicalfish.html

This is the only browser with this problem. I have run the page through the browser validation and didn't detect anything that wasn't on other pages that have no problems displaying correctly.

I also rechecked all my tables (it is table intensive) and found nothing.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm sure I've overlooked something but I'm going cross-eyed trying to figure it out.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I can see that might cause a problem is you have comments before the <html> tag. This causes problems on some IE versions (the one I've encountered is printing the source when you try to print the page).

Matt

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my pages have the same comments above the html tag and many of them display fine in IE5 for Mac.

I have seen reports of this problem by other webmasters, but haven't found yet a solution. If anyone has encountered this browser compatibility problem specific to IE5 please let me know.

I've tested the page for all other browsers and it works fine. Even for the older generation browsers it displays the page (although distorted in some, which I can live with).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without looking really deep into your code, it's got something to do with your FORM tag.

I have a Mac here which I tested it on and did indeed get the white screen. Actually, the bamboo background loads and then the white TABLE in the middle loads and that's it.

When I removed the FORM tag, the page displayed. It still wasn't perfect but at least some of the images showed up. If it's important to you that it work on a Mac, then you're only choice is to redesign the page. Personally I don't think it's a good idea to have the FORM tag be the FIRST thing directly inside the BODY...especially with as many nested TABLES as you have.

It might also help if you didn't use Frontpage. Without getting into a flame war, it's not a good editor, plain and simple.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a v V quick play with the page code.

One of the things I tried was putting EVERY tag on a new line.
    Tried other things first, but found that simply doing that made it render ok.

That made the page lay out properly for me.

I'll take another look when I have time to see why it made a difference. (I don't understand why it did myself)

The page could do with a clean up anyway. You have many tags split acorss several lines.

It makes it a nightmare to look around when you're trying to find bugs, etc...
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--

T.F. - i can't offer you reasons for why this is happening, sorry, but i can tell you that i'm on a mac and in IE 5.1, just the background shows, but in Netscape it works.

(sorry if i'm just telling you what you already know, i thought maybe you were still looking for confirmation)

trevor
    Trevor Glimpse
    trevor@gcp.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.

I'll clean up the code some more Bill so its easier for you to skim through.

Creole: I don't use frontpage. I use Adobe Pagemill and then change a lot of html by hand in notepad. Regardless, I use the same process for all my pages and this is one of only two pages with this glitch in IE5 for Mac. I'm really having trouble figuring out the difference.