User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I start using CSS Tables

I have been working with CSS for a couple of months, fairly confident that I can now start to change my sites from html tables format to CSS.

I have been reading about the new CSS capability of IE8 and am wondering whether its right to start using the CSS table properties which I have not been using simply because of the lack of support in IE.

But is it right to start using it now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee7997 View Post
    But is it right to start using it now?
    Ask Rachel and Kevin ;-)

Seriously, this is a question that very much depends on your user base (if you know that). You'll still need to do something for IE7 and earlier, it's just a question of how much divergance you want for those users.

I'd be willing to give it a go on a smaller project that is not of commercial importance, just to try it out, but I'd be wary if it is something that earns you a crust.
    Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way!
    A beginners' HTML/CSS book with web standards at its heart
    The Ultimate HTML Reference
    A complete reference, in glorious hardback

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was Rachel and Kevin that put the thought in my head, but I suspect the it may be a bit on the risky side at this stage given it does earn me quite a bit.

Maybe just stick to my first idea

Thanks

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I wouldn't. Not on commercial sites anyway. Besides, Internet Explorer 8 hasn't even been released (as in RTM) yet, so things may change between now and then. Not only that, but there's also going to be the issue of IE 6 holdouts (people using decade old hardware who refuse to upgrade their OS), and the upcoming Windows Mobile 6, which will use IE 6 as its layout engine and be capable of rendering traditional Web pages on the screen.

If anything, I'd use it like I would the rest of CSS3 at this point in time. Progressive enhancement, and nothing more.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dan.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It really comes down to whether you insist on giving IE7- users exactly the same web page layout as everyone else. Following the suggestions from the book means that if you want the page to appear the same in IE6 and 7 you have to do the CSS for the page twice with the second copy working for all browsers anyway. The alternative is to produce a simpler layout for IE6 and 7 where the total amount of CSS to support all browser is perhaps less than the one setup that would be needed to give everyone the more complex layout. What point you decide it is appropriate to do that is up to you but most web sites still have over 50% of their traffic coming from people using IE6 & 7.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Stephen, I am going to take what I have learned from the book and convert it on my local server, to see how it goes and in the hope IE8 falls together the way we hope when its out of beta, but it could be IE10 before 8 is out of beta