SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web Development Project Estimator

I run a one-man web design shop in Madison, Wisconsin. A friend and I just launched a new tool for web designers today and I'm looking for feedback. You can view the tool at estimator dot astuteo dot com.

In a nutshell, I've always used a simple spreadsheet to estimate my proposed web design projects. A few weeks ago, I decided I may as well create a micro app online for others to use. It's fully customizable and you can save your revised form with the "Save Changes" checkbox (saves a cookie to your local machine). You can also view a print-ready version to output for your records.

So whaddya think?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you have an interesting idea, but I don't know how or if that would work in the real world. I mean there are so many variable with a website, I don't think you can deduce them to a couple of hourly rates like this.
    --------------------

Web Hosting Reviews, News and Articles
    www.kubus.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use Excel sheet for writig down our project estimation and it is very much sufficient :-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    priti,

An excel spreadsheet is what I've used for the past couple years and it does work just fine. There's also a ton of freelance designers and small studios who scratch their estimates out on a napkin or just guess based on past experience.

My hope was to bring our spreadsheet format to the masses, but in a very simple and functional way. I believe more accurate project estimates will help create a more accurate valuation of our industry.

Matt

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that on Twitter this morning, Matt. I'll definately be using it, but I must let you know, SitePoint doesn't allow reviews outside the Website Reviews board.

I will however, leave this open so people can use it as a "support system" in case they get stuck. If another moderator (or an admin) decides otherwise, I'll abide by their decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be but i think the excel sheet which we use are pretty good to go you need to fee the data - which you will there also --- and YES one has to use his/her experience to estimate the project ONLY then you can estimate the project.

Just i was curious that how a web app will be helpful in estimation !! Our XLS are designed by our process team and its pretty much easy and quick.

Might be i am not able to understand :-) sorry !!

Regards

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @DanSchulz:

My mistake. Feel free to move this wherever is most appropriate.

@priti:

If you have a process team or work at a larger design firm, this tool is not designed for you. Keep w/ the spreadsheet.

Thanks!

Matt