SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question A couple of questions about my portfolio section

What's the best way to arrange your individual work on the website? Should you create a Flash-based photo gallery? Or should you organize it only with code?

If I forgo with a flash gallery, what would be the easiest, efficient method? Use a CMS? I don't know anything about ASP

Secondly, how should you present previous websites? A few screenshots of the site and then link directly to the site (if it's still up?) Or an icon/button that links to the site?

As it turns out, I only have one website I created which is still active...the owners from previous projects took their sites off the web years ago, and I still have those files. I don't know if I should upload those files to my server and link my portfolio to those files (thus people can see the code, design, view if it's web accessible or not)
    OR

Just create a few screenshots.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to stay away from Flash as I think that it's over-used, and won't work if the visitor doesn't have the requisite plug-in installed.

You can program your own gallery. There was an excellent article here on SP that showed how to do it using CSS: CSS Collapsible Image Gallery - scroll down to the section called "Inline Blocks."

I would not include projects that are no longer active on the web. This is just my opinion, but I would think that someone looking and seeing only things hosted on your site would think that you're not doing much business and move on. Try doing a few sites for non-profits, churches, etc. on the cheap. This will help to build up your portfolio.

You definitely want to have screenshots.
    Whatever is worth doing is worth over-doing...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here is my opinion:

First, all depends on content you are creating - as i see from your post, it is Web layouts or entire websites and some kind of graphic works - photos, illustrations..

I would stay wawy from Flash as well. Even if you can rarely find people without Flash installed, flash is not well indexed by search engines (though it seems they will) so if you are planning to get "natural" visitors from Google/Yahoo, you have to do it all in code and think of SEO.

For a photo gallery i would choose any one that fits to your needs and looks nice.

As for websites.. making a section for a web design portfolio which has one item is not quite serious. Until you have a basic port. of working websites, i would suggest making a section named "layout examples" or "web templates" and place the ready designs there.

I would even suggest giving out some photos or layouts for free download if you do not care much about selling them later - it may greatly increase your website populatity. I would not give out the layouts you've already sold with website designs, of course.

But frankly, good SEO is essential, imo.. =)
    A huge list of resources for designers and content producers
    to buy, sell or share stock photo images and other content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tsid nailed it - SEO is key.
    Whatever is worth doing is worth over-doing...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I COULD create a section called layout examples, but then I'll feel that people wouldn't believe that I actually created those websites.

I don't want to do that. I would be cheating myself of the past. These were websites I created, some for profit, some not, and they are not "examples" or concept designs.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're surely right. But if they are history now, what can you do to prove they were live?
    The first that comes to my head is to buy ten different domains on different hostings and put the layouts there and then place links. Fake, but not completely.. silly as idea, but may work for some time =)) (until someone checks the whois update dates).
    A huge list of resources for designers and content producers
    to buy, sell or share stock photo images and other content.