SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation using local privilege remotely

I am new to mysql and php so please forgive my ignorance. I have a web page that comes with access to an number of databases (which I can create). I can manipulate the databases using "cpanel" a form-style front-end or using php (and I guess perl).

I would like to setup a central data repository with clients sending information to a table I create via the web (transparently - this is for training scores).

Is it possible to generate a web transaction which invokes a php script which appends records to the remote mysql based on parameters passed in the web transaction? (using the privileges of my host userid to do the mysql update)

tia
    domaj

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Basically you've got two main options;

1. Send the data from one script to another using php functions like fsockopen. If you've come across PayPals IPN, they're doing basically that. The concept is to use HTMLs form POSTs and GETs to send data between the sites. It will be quicker to do this way, from a learning point of view.

2. Use XML-RPC ( intro here ) or some similar XML tricks. This will be far more powerful but there's probably alot to learn. You might be interested in this php script and a whole load of article here

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Thankyou for such a comprehensive reply.

I have checked out all the references you have given.

regards

Tony