SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are the marks of a successful blogger?

I'm sure there are various threads regarding some of these items, but.. My question is: What are the marks of a successful blogger?

• Why do people visit their blog regularly and/or subscribe?
    • What makes their content unique or appealing?
    • What are common themes with successful bloggers?
    • To become a "top blogger" do you need to establish yourself as an authority figure on the subject matter you blog about?
    • What kind of regular posting/activity is required?
    • What role does SEO play - For example, I'm sure there are top bloggers who rose in part due to brilliant SEO work, and others who rose because of brilliant topics/posts/marketing

I guess what the point of my thread is, is to dig a little deeper and find out what makes the top guys successful and what can we do to work towards achieving that level of success?

Thoughts, opinions?
    Last edited by ikjosh; Jan 10, 2009 at 20:20. Reason: added another item to the list

SitePoint Enthusiast harleydavidsons's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    many point to success on blogger!!! ... I dont sure for answer???
    url=http://www.i-myshop.info]Internet Shopping Store[/url]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A controversial and popular theme that people are interested in will work.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Success is relative. For some it is simply making money blogging, while others want to be famous. Either way, you have to have a passion about your topic and the determination to do whatever it takes to bring your blog to your goal of "success."

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say its someone who is knowledgeable about their blogs topic, loves to write and doesn't get discouraged after the first few months of no traffic. Successful bloggers are able to consistently post interesting articles that people want to read. Articles which leave readers eager to read the next post.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Write on what you love and study. The issue of success is something that you need to define for yourself. What makes the top bloggers successful can be many factors. The top point being is they usually blog on what they love, and they know the material. That helps to validate their reputation in their industry. With some, it took a lot of time for them to get to the level where they are at. Some not so long. Another key factor I'm seeing that's present in some of the top bloggers is they are very good at networking, which is in a sense, marketing.

Persistence to stick with it even if you don't reach fame or wealth will help you get to the level of success that you will need to eventually define for yourself.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a successful blogger is someone who blogs quality posts without even thinking about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people blog for different reasons, the most popular is to earn money... one mark of a successful blogger in this case is to have lots of earnings, for those who blogs for content and not earning, having their names known or getting their blog content published elsewhere is a good mark... there is no certainty where certain bloggers get their inspiration in blogging, mostly they just write about the stuff they know or they experienced, some about the current events and some for a review of a site or a book or a movie, etc...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a successful blogger? hmmm, someone who quits his regular job and continue the blogging field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sticking with it when you know that you'll never make any money off of this. Basically, time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $$$

But I also feel successful when someone leaves a comment to say that my info has helped them out, or they've learned something new. Or even if someone disagrees with me in a well-thought out way that makes me reconsider my own point of view!

Hmm, I think if you enjoy writing, debating, and teaching - being active is a success in its own.
    Website related links: Websitebuilding.biz, and Bookmarking
    College Stuff: FreeCollegeBlog.com - Financial Aid & Scholarships

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a successful blogger: who does not use his blog for promoting his other sites but making the blog better in itself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am only concerned w/ my traffic.. does that make me a good blogger?

Probably not.. but thats how I judge my success.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do people visit their blog regularly and/or subscribe? I visit and subscribe to blogs if they're covering a topic I'm interested in.

What makes their content unique or appealing? From my observation they focus on one niche topic and build on that.

What are common themes with successful bloggers? Themes? Since most blog platforms use themes (templates) and the word "theme" also indicates a recurrent idea I'm not sure which you refer to.

To become a "top blogger" do you need to establish yourself as an authority figure on the subject matter you blog about? Yes, definitely.

What kind of regular posting/activity is required?
    Daily is better. I know of some successful bloggers who post several times daily.

What role does SEO play - For example, I'm sure there are top bloggers who rose in part due to brilliant SEO work, and others who rose because of brilliant topics/posts/marketing - IMO SEO is very important for the overall blog; but if you don't follow up with a good traffic strategy you will never be successful no matter how brilliant your blog topic is. This is where most of us fail: we build a great site (or blog), but don't follow up with promotion. Successful bloggers usually outsource the job of building traffic - but it is just as important as brilliant posts and SEO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of successful blogger alive is Seth Godin. His blog is PR7 on typepad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marks of a successful blogger?

1. your earning's getting higher
    2. traffic ranks #1
    3. daily update/submitting articles everyday
    4. lots of comments and interesting topics discussed

IMHO.

SitePoint Enthusiast SubmitMyBlog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a successful blogger is somnebody who is passionate about the topic. If they like what they are blogging about, it will shine through and people will be attracted to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, a blog can be said a successful one if:

He/she ranks in his/her KW/s.
    He/she has many visitors in his/her blogs (and has continue to grow).
    His/her blogs was commented by other.