SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. Linux hosting will be ideal for this, since it already comes with PHP and MySQL (what WordPress uses). You'll be doing most of your stuff from a browser anyway so it won't matter what operating system your computer uses. All "Linux" and "Windows" mean here are what operating system the server is using - most of which you'll never be coming in contact with anyway.

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ponybarn5 View Post
    9. Open /wp-admin/install.php in your browser. This should setup the tables needed for your blog. If there is an error, double check your wp-config.php file, and try again. If it fails again, please go to the support forums with as much data as you can gather.
    10. -- no matter what variation of /wp-admin/install.php i type into firefox (www, no www, single slash in front of wp, double slash in front of wp, etc, etc., etc.) i get nothing that appears related to WordPress
    Once you get to this point (after following dan's instructions), you have to write the entire path in your browser's address bar.
    For example, if your site is "www.nameofyoursite.com", and you installed wordpress in the root directory (that is the main folder), then the path to the install program would be "http://www.nameofyoursite.com/wp-admin/install.php"
    Last edited by guido2004; Jan 15, 2009 at 08:16. Reason: xxxxx actually leads to a explicit material site!

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info! yeah, he's outta there.

as far as host gator, i went there and clicked on web hosting and there's two tabs: one for linux and one for windows. i have windows. i click the windows tab and it says "windows web hosting coming soon."

i don't get it.
    why not get a linux hosting plan?? Linux is even better than windows IMO when it comes to web hosting! HostGator is an outstanding choice I've been with them for like 4 years now and they rock!! With Cpanel of the your account you will be able to install WP in few clicks!!

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the hosting company i went to said it was kinda of a big deal to go with wordpress. granted he is used to working with people who want websites designed and not just hosted.

but he said basically there was no way he could just install wordpress for me and that i could just run with it. i said a bunch of peole on a forum said it was easy even for a newbie. to make a long story short, he said that was bs
    Really? Well, I have a hosting reseller account and offer WordPress (together with some other 30 programs pre-installed) to my customers because it is not big deal and it doesn't give any headaches...

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Tranquility View Post
    why not get a linux hosting plan?? Linux is even better than windows IMO when it comes to web hosting! HostGator is an outstanding choice I've been with them for like 4 years now and they rock!! With Cpanel of the your account you will be able to install WP in few clicks!!
    Yep

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so you're saying the linux server is fine even if my os is windows?

why would someone want a windows server? just curious.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so you're saying the linux server is fine even if my os is windows?

why would someone want a windows server? just curious.
    Of course it is fine! And you don't even need to be familiar with Linux to manage your hosting account! The Cpanel has a very intelligible and intuitive User Interface!
    In some cases Windows servers are needed to run some kind of scripts and programming languages! Like ASP stuff etc..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks again for the great info!

i'm a bit concerned with this wordpress though when guido2004 (above) writes:

Once you get to this point (after following dan's instructions), you have to write the entire path in your browser's address bar.

For example, if your site is "www.nameofyoursite.com", and you installed wordpress in the root directory (that is the main folder), then the path to the install program would be "http://www.nameofyoursite.com/wp-admin/install.php"

I'm really not sure what he's talking about. And how much more of this kind of stuff should I expect to run into and spend hours trying to figure out cause that's how long it's going to take me.

thanks!

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What he is saying is that when you install wordpress in a hosting server, you access your page by writing the address (which is your domain or computer address).

Think about windows. To write a path you write c:\folder\subfolder\filename.ext

"www.domain.com" is your "c:"

Therefore www.nameofyoursite.com/wp-admin/install.php

means that you are accessing to computer www.nameofyoursite.com, to the wp-admin folder, and to install.php file.

But because you are on internet, you will use the http protocol. The http:// is automatically added by the browser when you hit enter.

As you can see, nothing to be scared of

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about windows. To write a path you write c:\folder\subfolder\filename.ext

ok. you see, i have NEVER in over 20 years have "written a path" in windows to get anywhere for anything. i click on files, folders and links and navagate around.

so this idea that i have to "write a path" for this wordpress thing has me worried. yes.

how simple and intuitive and beginner-friendly can this wordpress be if i have to write paths? how many paths am i going to have to end up writing?

is this wordpress newbie-friendly or am i going to have to spend 40 hours figuring it out just to get started?

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your write paths all the time on the internet...

www.yahoo.com
    www.google.com

A long etc.... only that when you type www.yahoo.com you are accessing to the root folder.

More complicated paths such as www.yahoo.com/r/m1 (that is the folder for yahoo mail) are normally "written" when you click on a link, most of the time. But you could written them directly, if you want it.

Wordpress is probably the most complete blog system there is. It is not the easiest to use but it is not hard to learn. Still, as with everything in life, it has a learning curve.

In my opinion, I think it is worth it. It is not that hard but you do need to get used to it. But then, you will need to get used to any software that you use, be it wordpress or any other.

If you need 40 hours or less (or more), it depends on what you want to do with your blog. As I said, it is not the same to have a blog to get professional exposure, or even as a commercial investment, than having a blog for your own enjoyment.

I don't think that you need 40 hours to get started, though. Wordpress have very good documentation.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok. thanks! that helps!

actually, i just figured out that guido2004 was following up on all this crazy do-it-yourself install wordpress advice i was getting. what a joke to be offering that as something possible for a newbie! anyway, finally someone told me to just go through a host. here is where hostgator comes in.

does anyone know how many wordpress templates are available through hostgator?

thanks!

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Of course it is possible for a newbie! Basically, you only need to copy files. It will take you a bit longer because you will be faced to new concepts, but that's about it.

The thing is that, if you are installing it in a web server at your hosting company, there are many that offer wordpress pre-installed, so you don't have to go through all the process.

A different subject would be if you wanted to install it at home. While installing wordpress is the same, you would need a few previous steps, such as installing a web server software, a database manager and a server side programming language (mySQL and PHP, in the case of wordpress)

But it is not hard at all.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you for all the great info!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two things
    1) (wordpress org) wordpress offers a standalone software ( in layterms) so that you can install in ur hosting site and have almost full control over it. For this you need to download their software which is the .exe file and install in with a hosting space having mysql support.
    2) (wordpress com) You can open your own free wordpress blog in the wordpress site, just like you sign up and open up an email account, then you can start posting your blog, this has some limitations like limited theme capabilities, limited widgets etc. But this is what a lot of people do when they open up a blog, this is virtually no cost unless you want some advanced features where you go for an upgrade.

I would recommend you start with 2 and then see how ur blog goes and then later you could export your blog to the hosting site if it is setting the standards you wish.

You may also try blogger ( good as they offer the feature to run ur own ads using adsense etc) or Typepad - a more professional one with some monthly payments.
    There are many others like livejournal etc basically each differs with design and features they offer, but u may choose one that fits ur interest.
    Goodluck

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks ashgene! this adds another nice layer to my options.

wow, people here are educating me so well that i'm starting to understand some of the meanings behind stuff like "database manager, server side programming language, mySQL and PHP."

i'm sure there's a ton more but it's all interesting and i'm looking forward to growing into this, especially with so many people here willing to help! thanks again!

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's what the forums are for. The trick is to ask questions as specific as possible. Generic questions are hard to answer most of the times.

Regarding Wordpress themes, I don't know if hostgator have any, but if you google a little bit for "free wordpress themes", you'll find thousands of places to choose from

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im having wordpress problems too. I made my blog <snip>, but I cant seem to remember how to edit the white title of the blog that says "Amir Mullick - My Online Legacy" part.
    Last edited by Dark Tranquility; Jan 17, 2009 at 04:31.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirmullick3 View Post
    Im having wordpress problems too. I made my blog <snip>, but I cant seem to remember how to edit the white title of the blog that says "Amir Mullick - My Online Legacy" part.
    On the WP admin go to setting > General and change the blog title and the Tagline!

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amirmullick, I think that to do what you want you need to go to your admin and then settings, and choose Blog title.

I can't see your blog, it doesn't load, so I hope that's what it is.

Still, please make sure that you read the guidelines regarding posting links and domains, thank you