Results 1 to 25 of 45
Thread: WordPress...I'm confused!
Jan 10, 2009, 16:30 #1
- Join Date
- Dec 2008
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
Hello! Sorry to be a newbie but...
Recently I was advised to go with WordPress to create my first-ever blog. Several people said it's quality software and easy to use, even for a beginner.
I'm fairly computer literate. I've been using a computer regularly for 20 years, and so I must be totally losing it because I'm just utterly confused by these version 2.7 installation instructions. It says Famous 5-minute install. I've been at this now trying to figure it out for over TWO HOURS. Posted in WP forum over six hours ago with no response.
I've listed the WordPress My actions to the WP instructions are preceded by two dashes (--) Any help will be greatly appreciated!
1. Unzip the package in an empty directory.
2. -- i unzipped it onto my desktop
3. Open up wp-config-sample.php with a text editor like WordPad or similar and fill in your database connection details.
4. -- never did anything like this before but okay...i opened it up in ms word
5. Save the file as wp-config.php
6. -- saved it in word pad instructed
7. Upload everything.
8. -- what is "everything" ? -- upload it to where?
9. Open /wp-admin/install.php in your browser. This should setup the tables needed for your blog. If there is an error, double check your wp-config.php file, and try again. If it fails again, please go to the support forums with as much data as you can gather.
10. -- no matter what variation of /wp-admin/install.php i type into firefox (www, no www, single slash in front of wp, double slash in front of wp, etc, etc., etc.) i get nothing that appears related to WordPress
11. Note the password given to you.
12. -- i suppose this happens only after you clear the " /wp-admin/install.php" hurdle
13. The install script should then send you to the login page. Sign in with the username admin and the password generated during the installation. You can then click on 'Profile' to change the password.
14. -- okay...what's an install script? sounds like computer code for a real easy to understand word
Finally I read this in the wp-config.php word pad document: // ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //
Does this mean I first need a web host before I can even create a blog?
Seriously, this is "easy" for beginners ?????????