Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WordPress...I'm confused!

Hello! Sorry to be a newbie but...

Recently I was advised to go with WordPress to create my first-ever blog. Several people said it's quality software and easy to use, even for a beginner.

I'm fairly computer literate. I've been using a computer regularly for 20 years, and so I must be totally losing it because I'm just utterly confused by these version 2.7 installation instructions. It says Famous 5-minute install. I've been at this now trying to figure it out for over TWO HOURS. Posted in WP forum over six hours ago with no response.

I've listed the WordPress My actions to the WP instructions are preceded by two dashes (--) Any help will be greatly appreciated!

1. Unzip the package in an empty directory.
    2. -- i unzipped it onto my desktop
    3. Open up wp-config-sample.php with a text editor like WordPad or similar and fill in your database connection details.
    4. -- never did anything like this before but okay...i opened it up in ms word
    5. Save the file as wp-config.php
    6. -- saved it in word pad instructed
    7. Upload everything.
    8. -- what is "everything" ? -- upload it to where?
    9. Open /wp-admin/install.php in your browser. This should setup the tables needed for your blog. If there is an error, double check your wp-config.php file, and try again. If it fails again, please go to the support forums with as much data as you can gather.
    10. -- no matter what variation of /wp-admin/install.php i type into firefox (www, no www, single slash in front of wp, double slash in front of wp, etc, etc., etc.) i get nothing that appears related to WordPress
    11. Note the password given to you.
    12. -- i suppose this happens only after you clear the " /wp-admin/install.php" hurdle
    13. The install script should then send you to the login page. Sign in with the username admin and the password generated during the installation. You can then click on 'Profile' to change the password.
    14. -- okay...what's an install script? sounds like computer code for a real easy to understand word

Finally I read this in the wp-config.php word pad document: // ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //

Does this mean I first need a web host before I can even create a blog?

Seriously, this is "easy" for beginners ?????????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ponybarn5 View Post

Recently I was advised to go with WordPress to create my first-ever blog. Several people said it's quality software and easy to use, even for a beginner.

I'm fairly computer literate. I've been using a computer regularly for 20 years, and so I must be totally losing it because I'm just utterly confused by these version 2.7 installation instructions. It says Famous 5-minute install. I've been at this now trying to figure it out for over TWO HOURS. Posted in WP forum over six hours ago with no response.

I've listed the WordPress My actions to the WP instructions are preceded by two dashes (--) Any help will be greatly appreciated!

3. Open up wp-config-sample.php with a text editor like WordPad or similar and fill in your database connection details.
    7. Upload everything.
    9. Open /wp-admin/install.php in your browser. This should setup the tables needed for your blog. If there is an error, double check your wp-config.php file, and try again. If it fails again, please go to the support forums with as much data as you can gather.
    10. -- no matter what variation of /wp-admin/install.php i type into firefox (www, no www, single slash in front of wp, double slash in front of wp, etc, etc., etc.) i get nothing that appears related to WordPress
    12. -- i suppose this happens only after you clear the " /wp-admin/install.php" hurdle
    13. The install script should then send you to the login page. Sign in with the username admin and the password generated during the installation. You can then click on 'Profile' to change the password.
    14. -- okay...what's an install script? sounds like computer code for a real easy to understand word

Finally I read this in the wp-config.php word pad document: // ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //

I think the best thing for you to do is find a hosting company (just Google for "web hosting" and pick one that is suitable to your budget), register your domain name, and then ask the hosting provider to assist you in the WP installation / configuration.
    Not to be rude, but from what I just read from you, it's probably a good idea to let someone else do this for you. I'm sure a good host will be happy to assist you.
    Then just for future reference and for the sake of personal enrichment, if you really wanted to learn how to do WP installations, I'd just read every manual, every WP help blog, and all info you can find. Then, maybe try it for yourself.
    As an alternative, they have platforms like typepad and blogspot that have it pretty much all set and ready for you to use.
    You might want to try one of those to learn with and gain more blogging experience.
    Best of luck.
    Last edited by BransonPro; Jan 10, 2009 at 16:46. Reason: typo

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have a domain and host, you probably want to sign up at http://wordpress.com and have your blog there.
    - Robert

SitePoint Evangelist WebMachine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problems as ponybarn5, but I got stalled at the setting up the SQL database stage. I tried asking my hosting provider for help, and they refused, saying they didn't give support for that sort of thing. By the way, my hosting provider is Godaddy.

The only thing is, how are we ever going to learn how to do something like this if we don't try it ourselves ... if we always ask someone else to do it for us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebMachine View Post
    I had the same problems as ponybarn5, but I got stalled at the setting up the SQL database stage. I tried asking my hosting provider for help, and they refused, saying they didn't give support for that sort of thing. By the way, my hosting provider is Godaddy.

The only thing is, how are we ever going to learn how to do something like this if we don't try it ourselves ... if we always ask someone else to do it for us?
    I use Plesk on all of my dedicated servers. From there, it's as simple as 3 steps:
    1. Create new MySQL database
    2. Add new Databse user / password
    3. Enter the same values in the wp-conifg.php file

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    almost every professional webhost includes wordpress for freeas part of their service. I do for my customers. It's easier to have someone like us do an auto install. Simple and quick. PM me if you still need help. You don't have to buy hosting from me (though I recommend it). Either way, I'd be glad to help.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    every paid host that using cpanel, has fantastico aka automatic install module for web application like Wordpress, just simple.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do not have a hosting and a domain name, it is obvious that you won't find yourself in a position to upload the files. You can get a blog sub-domain on blogger or wordpress for free by signing up.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7. Upload everything.

Yes, you need a Web hosting provider that has PHP and MySQL enabled. Most hosts have this and are dirt cheap as far as cost goes. If you don't have a hosting provider, give HostGator.com a try and see how well it works for you. I also recommend using the hosting account's control panel to create an empty database for you - that's where WordPress will store its files (it'll do all the grunt work - you just need to create a "container" for it to sit in first). This needs to be done before you attempt any installation of WordPress.

Now, on to the particulars.

Downloading and extracting to your desktop is fine. Especially since you'll have to edit a single file before uploading to a Web server.

WordPad is not a text editor - it's a stripped down word processor. You'll have to use something like Notepad or Crimson Editor instead, then "save as" wp-config.php when you're done. If you use Notepad, make sure you use the "All Files" type when saving your file. (It's the second dropdown menu.)

You'll need to upload the files (everything inside the "wordpress" folder) to your server in order for them to work. I use a program called FileZilla (it's available for free at http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/) to do this. You'll need FTP access to the server to use this; your hosting provider will tell you how to do it if you have any questions (or you can just ask me, and I'll show you how).

For security purposes I recommend changing the wp_ prefix to something else (such as a 2-3 letter long prefix followed by an underscore) and then uploading the entire "wordpress" folder to the server. The URL will then look like yourdomain.tld/wordpress/ (where yourdomain and .tld are your domain name and top level domain like example.com for instance).

Once the files are uploaded (including the wp-config.php file) then go to your browser and type in the address. You'll then be given an administrative username and password - write these down. Then delete the install file. It's located in the wp-admin folder on the server and will have the filename install.php - just right-click on FileZilla or whatever program you use and delete the file (just like deleting a file on the desktop using right-click).

By the way, you'll want to create another account once you're logged in and give that administrator access. Once you've done that, delete the default admin account.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would advise you that you never use Word to edit or save anything related to configuration files. These files are text files with no format, and Word always add its own formatting unless you save it specifically to a txt file (careful, a txt no a rtf because that one will also include formating)

Since you need to save it as php, you are by far better off using a text editor such as notepad.

For the rest, I think that Dan did an excellent job explaining the process and I hope that it helps. Of course, you can always come back to SP if you have further problems

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a big difference between having 20 years experience using your computer and attempting to work with html, php, linux, and mysql for the first time. Installing wordpress software involves all of those things. My suggestion is to start building an alliance with someone now so that later you can go to the same person whenever the once-in-a-while comes up where you need some help.

If/when your blog gets past the initial install stage, and begins to show hope of success, you will want someone skilled in php etc to help you do more things with your blog anyway. So, might as well start off by offering to pay someone $20 or so for a few minutes to get you underway. Then the next time you need something you'll get the help you want and save hours worth of grief.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    come to the basics dear...you ask "where to upload files?"
    although it's not funny but ,that "where" is the "web-host".
    I would like you to first install wordpress on your own computer.This will give you a first hand experience about installing wordpress .I can't give a link here due to restriction at present ..just google the term "install wordpress on your own computer " or you can go to [urbangiraffe] site and search for it .Hope it helps you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting a blog is better with blogspot. Very easy to use and very fast.
    Ecommerce web hosting all-in-one ecommerce solution
    Free shopping cart for small online retailers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by techvb View Post
    come to the basics dear...you ask "where to upload files?"
    although it's not funny but ,that "where" is the "web-host".
    I would like you to first install wordpress on your own computer.This will give you a first hand experience about installing wordpress .I can't give a link here due to restriction at present ..just google the term "install wordpress on your own computer " or you can go to [urbangiraffe] site and search for it .Hope it helps you.
    Won't do a bit of good without a testing server on his computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alizasa View Post
    And yet it (like WordPress.com) limits what he can and cannot do with his blog.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Won't do a bit of good without a testing server on his computer.
    Installing wordpress on your local computer requires running apache and mysql.All these are contained in XAMPP package.Installing XAMPP makes your computer a web server.and then you install wordpress just like you do on a host.
    I have been using wordpress on my own computer as a testing and backup of my online blog.
    info abt XAMPP is here-
    http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alizasa View Post
    I am not sure that I agree with this solutions. It really depends on what you want your blog to be and what use you will be making of it. As an example, if it has a commercial purpose, I would never use blogspot (or wordpress.com) and would get my own domain instead.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is easy because there is no real knowledge of programming or scripting languages involved. However if you are new to hosting and web sites in general it can be a lot to take on, maybe an account at blogger is a better way to get started.
    --------------------

Web Hosting Reviews, News and Articles
    www.kubus.net

Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by austk View Post
    It is easy because there is no real knowledge of programming or scripting languages involved. However if you are new to hosting and web sites in general it can be a lot to take on, maybe an account at blogger is a better way to get started.
    I would agree with you if he simply wants to start a blog for his own leisure and enjoyment. Again, if he wants a blog for professional use, to use a hosting company and his own domain will be possibly a better choice.

Using blogger or wordpress.com doesn't help you at all at installing wordpress. It is not the use of the blogging system itself where he is having problems, but the instalation process.

The only thing that may help him is to contract a hosting company that includes Wordpress pre-installed. Unless he wants to do his own testing before publishing, and that means installing it at home, with everything that involves (web server, php, and database)

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    which is better? eblogger or wordpress?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the hosting company i went to said it was kinda of a big deal to go with wordpress. granted he is used to working with people who want websites designed and not just hosted.

but he said basically there was no way he could just install wordpress for me and that i could just run with it. i said a bunch of peole on a forum said it was easy even for a newbie. to make a long story short, he said that was bs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the hosting company i went to said it was kinda of a big deal to go with wordpress. granted he is used to working with people who want websites designed and not just hosted.

but he said basically there was no way he could just install wordpress for me and that i could just run with it. i said a bunch of peole on a forum said it was easy even for a newbie. to make a long story short, he said that was bs
    Then you should call him back and ask him what kind of a hosting provider doesn't know how to install something as simple as Word Press. Sounds to me like you should find a better hosting provider, if your budget allows for it.

Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Really? Well, I have a hosting reseller account and offer WordPress (together with some other 30 programs pre-installed) to my customers because it is not big deal and it doesn't give any headaches...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he didn't say he couldn't install it. he said he never used it before but he is familiar with it like you know a lot about a porche but never drove one.

he said it could not be as simple as him installing it and me just diving in and using it. he said no way was it as simple as that and no way as simple and beginner-friendly as most of the posters on here were making it sound

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then get another hosting provider. As I recommended earlier, HostGator would be a good option.

Seriously, if he's not willing to help with something as mundane and simple as WordPress, what makes you think he'll be there when something goes seriously wrong?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info! yeah, he's outta there.

as far as host gator, i went there and clicked on web hosting and there's two tabs: one for linux and one for windows. i have windows. i click the windows tab and it says "windows web hosting coming soon."

i don't get it.