SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy php, mysql and uniform server

I am also following Kevin Yank's book on database driven websites and opted for using the Uniform Server package of php, mysql and apache on windows XP.

The server works fine for HTTP requests to localhost, and I can certainly see the results of my newbie php coding.

But I can't seem to be able to connect properly to the server via the command line tool or telnet. The only way that I can connect to it is via the MySQL client. But I would really like to learn to use command line.

If I use the Windows command prompt, I have to navigate all the way to C:\Uniform Server\udrive\usr\local\mysql\bin\mysql.exe to make any sort of connection. I never see a mysql> prompt using this method, although it seems I am interacting with the server.

Using telnet, the connection usually times out even though I know the server is running. Using telnet at the command line yields the same disconnect.

Would anyone have an idea of what I might be doing wrong or whether the Uniform Server package just can't be accessed in the command line fashion?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what type of server is it ?
    Windows based or Linux based?

Telnet is an almost prehistoric remote console program, and so totally insecure that any datacenter enabling it should be burned to ashes.

If the server is linux based, you might have an ssh (secure shell) access, which is the equivalent of the linux command line.

if you have an windows based server (which I never had, so no way to be sure) you might be able to use remote desktop to access your server.

In any way, telnet is of no use, and the tool you might use depends of your server.
    But, in any way, your assumption that you worked on the server by launching the mysql cli tool is correct.
    It's a network database, and it's designed to be able too connect to a node via the network.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is this installed on your own machine? if so edit the PATH variable under Start, Control Panel, System, Advanced, Environement Variables. add a semi-colon and then the path you describe above.

on another note the mysql client and command line are the same thing, unless you meant batch processing or running mysqldump for instance on the command line which is just really your dos shell

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow tripy, but how do you really feel about telent?

anyway, my server resides on my local machine. UniServer is a form of WAMP. All that I'm trying to do is interact with this server on my local machine and get used to using the command line to work with mysql databases.

guelphdad, I made the change in environment variables and now it seems to work.

do either of you have a recommendation for other learning mysql resources?

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.w3schools.com/ is good, see the learn sql on the left navigation. remember sql is the language, while mysql is but one flavour of database application you can use. there are some proprietary differences. For instance TOP is standard and mysql uses LIMIT to limit the number of rows you want returned in a query for example. If you are looking for a book to get you started http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0980455251/ will be a good one, written by one of the resident sql experts in these forums.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol. I had to click the link to be sure but, I just knew it would be a book from Rudy.

bazz