SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get professional design website for yourself, blogs are for every people but website makes you professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Website --> businesses/portfolio pages/shopping cart/non-CMS material

Blog --> personal/tutorials/life/etc....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who enjoy blogging, a blog site is easier to own, rather than a website. Although websites may have an enormous space of content, blog sites are created to put blogs up front with limited choice of windows. In other words, it has less space. Plus, blog sites are cheaper, yet free to create one. However, owning a website is much better but a little steep in cost. It will definitely satisfy and catch the attention of many just clickingwith loads of choices. It depends on everyone's budget and cost of spending. The free way is faster and easier, or the much sophisticated one.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend that if you want to make money online then go with a blog.. If you want the experience of making something from scratch, learning html, php and java (not a bad way to start..) then just make a website and install a blog in a subdomain or /blog/ folder.. just my two cents

Thanks,
    Blog Basics For Beginners

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a fresh start? For me. Blogs is more adviseable than website because website is more complicated than blogs.. and blogs for me can act as a mini website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using Elxis for some time now and it offers 2 methods of blogging. It is a cms like joomla but I find that it has much cleaner code and that the normal content delivery can be setup as a blog or you can use it's e-blog features to setup multiple bloggers and/or blogging themes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like to summarize it according to my judgement

blog-more on content-educational, articles, humor, gossip, informative, reviews

websites - products and services, networks, ads

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

i would say that blog is more easier to build, no need to update time to time unlike website there's a lot of coding system that you need to apply just to make your site more meaningful and attractive. But then.. you can make a blog in your own website. That's the good thing then if you do have your own website..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend a blog with wordpress ...it is very easy to do
    106 Amazing List Building Tips!
    http://www.marketing4anyone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think ultimately it does depend a lot on your content and type of content. If you know that you are going to write content once or twice a week then a blog is a good thing to have. If content comes once or twice a month or even more sporadically then a website is probably best. Also as said above it does depend on type of content.. products and services?? you got yourself a website baby! tutorials, rants, general gossip?? Then a blog is right up your alley!

I personally cant stand blogs where there are weeks or even months of posts missing! its one of those things that drives me insane! I can honestly say I do not revisit a blog if content updates aren't regular dont have the time?!?! dont have a blog!!

rant over!
    Neron-Fx
    Everytime a user opens Internet Explorer, a web developer dies...
    http://www.savethedevelopers.org/

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog is way better because with blog you can associate it with some feeds such as feedburner and you have no problem in publicizing it

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i m using blogspot for my blog. I writing about topic that i likes in that blog and for me if you want to share anything to others it is suitable to develop a blog not website. coz website is more to marketing and introducing business.

SitePoint Enthusiast Technographs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Believe it depends on the main AIM behind the starting an blog or an Website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote goes for wordpress blog

it is the best and easiest for seo

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blogging is great.

If you want yer fancy plugins and themes then opt for Wordpress. I'd recommend Google's Blogger platform; since I have been with them everything has been great! Not had one glitch with the server and now the posts get indexed (with G) within 20 or so minutes. Very easy to use, extremely manageable and your Google account becomes integrated which is useful. Anyway, best of luck with whichever path you decide to take.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks everyone for the advice! it's very helpful to get so many good opinions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ponybarn5 View Post
    thanks everyone for the advice! it's very helpful to get so many good opinions!
    So what did you decide on then?
    Neron-Fx
    Everytime a user opens Internet Explorer, a web developer dies...
    http://www.savethedevelopers.org/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    related question:

i know this crosses over into another forum but does go directly to my original question: "website or blog" ?

any thoughts on my idea of creating a website/blog that is 75% informational with 25% devoted to click-through ads--all ads related to the information. for instance, say the website/blog is about my champion frisbee-catching dog Rex, and i have click-through to a pet supply store and another to a vendor selling frisbees on ebay.

how difficult are click-through agreements to set up? are they even worthwhile to consider?

i'm looking to keep it very basic to start and hopefully expand. does it make much difference if i do this as a blog (for instance Blogger), a blog/website hybrid (for instance WordPress), or should it be a strict website as jabo's above post says, and many seem to agree that "blog-more on content-educational, articles, humor, gossip, informative, reviews. websites - products and services, networks, ads."

seems like somewhere along the line--as much as the two overlap--there is are two hard breaks between blog and website: 1. a certain level of sophistication--you know it when you see it, and 2. when it comes to commerce. but is there a difference at entry-level commerce? is it mostly personal preference especially at a beginner commerce level or not?

as always, thanks for any opinions!

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ponybarn5
    any thoughts on my idea of creating a website/blog that is 75% informational with 25% devoted to click-through ads--all ads related to the information. for instance, say the website/blog is about my champion frisbee-catching dog Rex, and i have click-through to a pet supply store and another to a vendor selling frisbees on ebay.

how difficult are click-through agreements to set up? are they even worthwhile to consider?
    I think this particular question could have a more appropiate answer in the Advertising sales and Affiliate forums, maybe even the Adsense forum.

"Click though rates" are a must there!

If you are looking for affiliate programs, I would go for the major sellers ... meaning that if you want to sell books about dogs, you could sign up for amazon.

The difficulty of signing up a contract depends on if you do it directly with the company or you use a network to show ads relevant to your blog's subject. Following my example, setting up an affiliate account with amazon and create your own ads (selecting the books,etc) is extremely easy. Amazon have a good affiliate program and have experience on this. It is very easy with them.

Advertising networks are experts on these waters, and it is a matter of singing up with a particular network (after reading their terms carefully, of course)

Some companies like Commission Junction or Linkshare control their customer's affiliate programs to certify that all the sales done through a website are real and not a scam. Adobe or British Airways are two companies that use this system (they specifically use Commission Junction (CJ))

There are many, many things that you have to consider, and there is tons of information about this. Visit those forums and make sure that you read the stickies there.

Quote Originally Posted by poneybarn5
    i'm looking to keep it very basic to start and hopefully expand. does it make much difference if i do this as a blog (for instance Blogger), a blog/website hybrid (for instance WordPress), or should it be a strict website as jabo's above post says, and many seem to agree that "blog-more on content-educational, articles, humor, gossip, informative, reviews. websites - products and services, networks, ads."
    I think that if you want to monetize your site, it should be under your own domain because it looks more professional and serious. That rules blogger out.

In my case, I recommend to my customers to have a web hybrid, even if they only sell products, or should I say specially if they only sell products? A think that having a blog is important to add content to your site. I think that this content will have two possitive impacts: 1) the public will know that you know what you are talking about and therefore you will build trust, which is important in any business 2) It will help you with search engines which, after all, are only after the content itself.
    Last edited by molona; Jan 16, 2009 at 10:55.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you make a website under 8 hours? Well, I'm sure you can, but ... if you want to make a pretty decent website in today's standard, how long do you take?
    Last edited by rusho00; Jan 17, 2009 at 11:24.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusho00 View Post
    Can you make a website under 8 hours? Well, I'm sure you can, but ... if you want to make a pretty decent website in today's standard, how long do you take?
    Depends on skills, goals and planification and the technologies you use. There is no limit at how long it will take. Still, as a rule, I tell you that for most the people, a regular site takes them about a month or so (we are talking about coding only)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog or wordpress is a narrow term, whereas a website is a broader term.!!!
    Setup a blog is a chlid's play, you can setup a blog by using Cpanel addons.But for a website you have to work hard.!!!
    I prefer website if its in some other language then HTML.!!!

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pranky View Post
    I prefer website if its in some other language then HTML.!!!
    I am not sure if I understand this well. Please, explain

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earlier in this thread someone recommended creating a blog within a website.

Can anyone elaborate on this idea? Namely, how is this done?

I'm thinking make a link on my website to my blog. Or is there a better way?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ponybarn5; Jan 19, 2009 at 09:52.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to make daily changes on your site then I will recommend you to go for blog instead of website.