User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Migrating Flash site to another CMS",

my first website, <snip />, was created in all flash apparently. i used a shady outfit <snip /> to upload and host it based on my designs, and it looked okay and was simple for me to update regularily.

but a month ago, my computer wouldn't load the site, and neither would my wife's 2 or my mom's. others still can somehow. the bottom line is, i want to migrate this away from them, from flash, and move it to something else.

one of our mastermind's here mentioned something like Joomla, which apparently also has an easy type of Admin Control Panel so an idiot like myself can handle it.

anyone here have any experience with this, with migraiting a site from a flash site to another CMS?

i don't even know for sure how i would change it.... i own the domain, but i can't even get control of my own site. from another CPU, i can log in and make changes, but only to the basic layout as defined.
    Last edited by DaveMaxwell; Jan 6, 2009 at 09:37. Reason: removed URLs, especially the one involving the "shady outfit"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really know of any flash CMS systems out there and would never make a full flash website because of many reasons. Suggest starting from scratch with one of the well known CMS such as Joomla, Modx, Drupal, Wordpress, or a shopping cart CMS such as Magento
    UNLIMITED Domains - UNLIMITED Disk Space - UNLIMITED Bandwidth
    *Black Friday - Website Hosting Deal of The Year - 50% OFF!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Newviewit,

I'm as fresh and uneducated on these things as can be, but I will look into those that you have mentioned.
    I can write, and I can design in Photoshop. Hopefully I can figure out the joomla or drupal, or others.

Have you used each? Which have advantages?

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think that you are perfectly capable to do whatever you want. Unfortunately, I have no experience migrating from a Flash CMS to Joomla yet a CMS stores the data into a database (or a text file, but this is rare). You need to export these tables to .CSV (comma separated values, a regular text file with no formatting and where every file is part of a registry) and importing it to your Joomla database (choose the right table and match the names of the fields so all the information goes to the right field)

Joomla may have some kind of assisting page to do the import. I am not sure about that.