User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of wiki?

Hi All,

I have done some searching on this, but not come up with a definitive answer and I would welcome some ideas and opinions from people. I need to implement a system where a document is uploaded (finished with no editing allowed) for review and comment.

The document is a strategic plan and users need to be able to comment on it and on how the plan goes over a three year period. I thought of Docu Wiki, but that is not really the right solution as the document itself will not be altered.

I suppose I could use blog software, but wondered if anyone had heard of anything, or any particular form of blogging software. PHP/MySQL are fine

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you need a wiki if you do not allow the original document or article to be edited? I think Wordpress would easily meet your requirement. Have you tried Drupal? I heard it is a very good piece of software, but somehow I find it hard to use. If you know how to use that, you may like it because it has a lot of features. But looking at your requirements (if those are your only requirements), I would just go for Wordpress.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you ekompute

I will have a look at that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UClass.co.uk is first class! I wonder what software you use.

I supposed your request in this forum is regarding another website or are you trying to link it to this one? Look at this political website in my country. It is a very active website, using Wordpress. Each day, many people contribute comments to its articles that are hosted by a very prominent Opposition leader.

The layout is very simple. However, if you do not like the layout, there are literally hundreds of free Wordpress themes (layouts) that are available that can easily be installed. Do try it for a month or so. You will not regret.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, it is developed for purpose rather than using any particular software. Dummipedia is a great idea too. The only thing that was slightly offputting was the immediate ads, maybe it would be a good idea to get the site started and rolling more before adding advertising.

Great idea though, I often give up on reading through Wikipedia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beechfielder View Post
    Thanks, it is developed for purpose rather than using any particular software. Dummipedia is a great idea too. The only thing that was slightly offputting was the immediate ads, maybe it would be a good idea to get the site started and rolling more before adding advertising.

Great idea though, I often give up on reading through Wikipedia
    Hi Beechfielder, thanks for your frank comments. Are you referring to Google ads or those links on the left panel?