SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim25 View Post
    lol. It really varies for GD. Mostly were happy initially, but then started grumbling after a while. While some hate their service so much even during the initial period. To me, GD is just a normal host with servers offering normal web hosting facilities, nothing so much spectacular to consider over them, as compared with HG and the likes.
    Hi Tim25, do you know whether GoDaddy play monkey after a while so that they can force you to upgrade to VDS? The reason why I chose GoDaddy was because when I tell them my websites' sizes and traffic, they suggest that I take their smallest plan first and see how it goes. So far, I have no problems with them when Maiahost was telling me that I need a VDS Plan.

Siteground put me in an overcrowded server after 10 months, while Maiahost just kick me out after 5 months because they said that they could sell the resources that I used to 20 other people. And I was just consuming 5% of the monthly bandwidth that they promised me in their advertisement. Now when I confront Venetsian (the man who claimed to be the owner of Maiahost in his email to me) at Digital Point, he cannot reply to the questions I posed because obviously, Maiahost was telling lies.. lies so blatant that they cannot even cover, when confronted.

So you can understand my fears... fears of unscrupulous webhosts asking you to take a bigger plan so that they can sell your excess to 20 other people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim25 View Post
    lol. It really varies for GD. Mostly were happy initially, but then started grumbling after a while.
    Sorry Tim25, I need to ask you this question. Do you know what they were grumbling after a while? Do GoDaddy also practise putting you in an overcrowded server after your honeymoon period is over, just like what they do at Siteground? Well, I don't hate Siteground as much as I hate Maiahost because at least, they don't just kick me out merely because they can sell my space to "20 other users". I asked Venetsian of Maiahost... if I have sold my house to someone and someone offers me a higher price, can I forget about the first buyer? So far, he has not answered. Damned greedy webhost.... a real disgrace. Well, we find black sheep in every industry.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekompute View Post
    Hi Tim25, do you know whether GoDaddy play monkey after a while so that they can force you to upgrade to VDS? The reason why I chose GoDaddy was because when I tell them my websites' sizes and traffic, they suggest that I take their smallest plan first and see how it goes. So far, I have no problems with them when Maiahost was telling me that I need a VDS Plan.

Siteground put me in an overcrowded server after 10 months, while Maiahost just kick me out after 5 months because they said that they could sell the resources that I used to 20 other people. And I was just consuming 5% of the monthly bandwidth that they promised me in their advertisement. Now when I confront Venetsian (the man who claimed to be the owner of Maiahost in his email to me) at Digital Point, he cannot reply to the questions I posed because obviously, Maiahost was telling lies.. lies so blatant that they cannot even cover, when confronted.

So you can understand my fears... fears of unscrupulous webhosts asking you to take a bigger plan so that they can sell your excess to 20 other people.
    ekompute, as I am a freelance web designer myself, I have to recommend some web hosts to my clients according to their budget. That is my primary reason why I have "tasted" all bads and goods about a web host. When Go Daddy first introduced web hosting service years back, they were very good, in terms of technical support and server reliability. After several months (yes, you read it right - several months), many have been complaining about their lack of support in blogs and forums.

When problems arose with the web host, I would be the one to deal with the web host, because most of my clients have no IT employees in their firm. GD was very prompt and effective in their support reply, but then started going slow, giving lousy replies, or even no reply. When there wasn't reply, I had to report to my client what went wrong. It affected not only GD reputation, but my reputation as their web administrator as well. So the grumble was mainly on their technical support.

Honestly, I was tempted to rent a server and start my own web host so that I could better manage my clients websites by hosting their websites instead. But I am lacking of time and technical competency, so I better not try it. I research web hosts every now and then, and migrating my clients websites to better web host when their current web host runs into problem. To facilitate my research, you can see the website in my signature. I do need help greatly on people like you to review your web hosts.

And, about the honeymoon period, which they migrate to a crowded server after the 30-day money back guarantee, I can assure you that GD did that. There were several times I checked the number of websites hosted on the same server as I was using DomainTools service, it was not so much, like less than 100, after the honeymoon period, the website was getting slower than before. I did a check and the number of websites hosted in the server was 4-5 times than before, which was 400-500 websites in a server, then after several months, it went down to 200+ websites in the server.

So that proved my claim in another topic that web host DOES migrate websites to other (packed) servers every now and then.
    Honest Web Host Reviews - Check Web Hosting
    Over 1700 Web Host. Pure user reviews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tim25, that was very informative! I visited your website. Awww, you gave a Position 3 to Hostgator which I find to be worse than GoDaddy. But I agree with your rating because you gave 2.3 points to Hostgator for Support Response. Absolute rubbish support they gave me when I was there for a few days. But they seem to fare very well in other areas so I may have make a mistake, LOL.

So it does seem that everyone is playing the same game. But do you know of any specific reason why GoDaddy is three times bigger than its next competitor? I have enough of monkeys and had decided to go for the largest webhost in the world, hoping that so many people cannot be wrong. If GoDaddy is really lousy, I would suppose that users will leave one by one and it cannot be the largest for long. I now have a phobia with monkeys like Maiahost who provide false CPU usage statistics and forced you to upgrade to VDS or else get lost.

As for hosting it myself, well... the situation is different as compared to you. For me, even if something happens, it doesn't really matter as long as I have my backups in place. And if it is down for a week, so what? But when you host for other people, the responsibility is really great. To me, hosting it myself and having a dedicated server is no different. Once you go for dedicated server, you are on your own.... security matters, etc. etc.