User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

software recommendations

Hi,

I have an idea for a website, and I plan to hire someone to build it. Is there software that I can use to "sketch" how the pages will look so I can give these to the person I hire for them to work from? Ideally I want something that allows me to design all of the pages and have them linked together as I intend. However, I don't need the software to build the site or do the HTML behind it. It's just to do the appearance and the coder will work out how to make the site.

What is this kind of software called? It's not an HTML editor. The only thing I can think of the moment is MS Paint!

Thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just depends on personal preference. You can use ANYTHING to create wireframes, from MS PAINT, to Powerpoint, to a piece of scrap paper you digitize with a scanner. There are also a number of "website wire framing" software you can use to create them. I've had some luck in the past with Axure, http://www.axure.com/.

Thanks,
    Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the professional designers seem to use Photshop but for the most part you'll most likely never need all of the features and it's expensive.

MS Paint is fine and free.

PhotoPlus from Serif Softwareis fairly good and free good general range of tools. I used to use it and no complaints
    Catherine

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a .psd file (Photoshop file) from a client the other day that had two templates. One for the home page, and one for all the internal pages. The one for the internal pages has different layer groups that literally show what is supposed to be on each page.

Obviously you'd have to be really good with Photoshop to pull that off (or know someone who is), but it is doable. Like Catherine said though, it's expensive.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could just grab gimp for free to sketch out your ideas and call it a day

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your suggestions. I'll give some of these a try.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atoklas View Post
    Hi,

Ideally I want something that allows me to design all of the pages and have them linked together as I intend.

Thanks!
    ALL the pages??? Surely you will be using a consistent design throughout? One sample page is all you need. Or, if your home page is laid out differently, you only need to produce a layout for two pages.
    Then a set of word docs or pdfs (better), one for each page, containing the data that goes into each part of each page - name the pages/word docs/pdfs the same as the word(s) used in the menu, and there is no need for you physically to link all the pages. Although if there is a set sequence of some pages you require for some pages eg page P, then page Q then page R if male, page S if female, and so one, you'd normally just draw a set of linked boxes with the page names in them to show the sequence (Start by sketching on paper first!)

A client recently sent me a PDF he'd created with just "Header here"and "menu here", and then the content that he wished in each part of each page, laid out as he wanted it in boxes, and I just transfered the copy to the appropriate html page and added a suitable header graphic and menu. Wish all clients were as efficient as he was!

There is no need to produce a graphic image of every single page, nor for you to physically link them together (although you can do that in powerpoint).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

I want something that allows me to design all of the pages and have them linked together as I intend
    If you want an overview of the site with the different links try a flowchart program such Microsoft Visio or the free and superb Freemind software.
    SWPicks.com - Open-Source Software, Freeware and Cloud services.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to go with Dr John's idea. Using a picture and linking throughout the rest of the site through that image is ridiculous. Create one page (index page preferrably) and code that design. You can always reuse the divs and classes/ID's now