SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question what's really the deal of using CMS??

hey, can anyone tell me why many are using Content Mangement System's..

Honestly, i never tried using one..

I've only tried using Zend Framework and Smarty Template. Should I also try using CMS? what are the advantages and disadvantages in using one....

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Sitepoint!

I find I'm using some sort of CMS on 75% of the sites I build nowadays, either because the client wants to be able to maintain their content themselves, or because the site needs to be dynamic in nature and using a CMS makes this easy to implement.

There are many advantages:

1. A good CMS can easily be adapted to serve any sort of content in any way
    2. A good CMS can be integrated into a design or layout with the minimum of fuss
    3. Data can be easily manipulated either on the fly or according to the site owners chosen settings
    4. Site owners can make updates and changes themselves without any technical know how
    5. New features can easily be added at a future date

Disadvantages? I'd struggle to find any problematic ones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks... Guess i'll try learning one... w/c could you recommend for beginners like me??

Actually i only heard a few Drupal, Joomla and Wordpress.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The down side with a CMS is that there is a lot "overhead" to implement a certain feature, both in user interface and back end code.

Drupal and Joomla are basically the two most prominent ones. (Wordpress is much more limited.)

Drupal has a larger learning curve for users, but it tends to be much cleaner both design-wise and code-wise than Joomla.

Jooma is easier to use and it has a considerably larger community, but I find it to be a mess.

You should try both, see what plugins are available, and get the hang of both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, tnx.. could you show me some sites that are developed using drupal and joomla..

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CMS's have alot of pros, Personally i've never found one i liked. Most CMS's feel like they're trying to make the website for you, And you have to build the site AROUND them.

Once i find one that (just for example) i can php include JUST a section of the cms into a page on my site, ill be happy

One that i can put on my site, and not put my site on it

So far i've tried joomla, drupal, even wordpress

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @esem, I agree.

Like one enlightened boss told me once, If we buy a cms, we will then need to take on a programmer to make it bend to our will, so we may as well have a programmer who makes our cms for us.

From a programmer POV a CMS is rotten thing which you are constantly fighting against in order to move data from one place to another - everything slowly becomes "no can do", rather than the pervasive PHP (or programmer's) "can do" attitude.

Taking on a CMS is like putting on a straitjacket, you just don't know its limitations till you've worn it for a while.

Having said that, it all depends what features you want from your cms, clearly.

@aguroyz - start looking here for other options and feature comparisons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cups View Post
    @esem, I agree.

Like one enlightened boss told me once, If we buy a cms, we will then need to take on a programmer to make it bend to our will, so we may as well have a programmer who makes our cms for us.

From a programmer POV a CMS is rotten thing which you are constantly fighting against in order to move data from one place to another - everything slowly becomes "no can do", rather than the pervasive PHP (or programmer's) "can do" attitude.

Taking on a CMS is like putting on a straitjacket, you just don't know its limitations till you've worn it for a while.

Having said that, it all depends what features you want from your cms, clearly.

@aguroyz - start looking here for other options and feature comparisons.
    Agreed!

Taking on a commercial/OS CMS is a bottleneck to your whole project. Sure, it's full of features.. but when you need something done your way, or a different way.. what are you stuck with?

You're stuck with countless hours of reading documentation on developing and extending the project.. (if the developer/project was so kind enough to write documentation on it) or you're stuck reading through the code.. line by line.. figuring out how the operation works to make it bend to your way.

In my opinion, it's not worth it.

If you're wanting to get started with CMS', then build your own. You seem to know a bit of PHP, with your post talking about Zend Framework and Smarty, so you probably have some sense in what we are talking about.

Build your own simple little CMS system. It could be as easy as:

• Login/Logout
    • Add Article
    • Edit Article
    • Remove Article

Then have a simple way to show the articles on the site, whether it be a list or such.

Look at Cutenews! That's a simple little news/article CMS that really comes in handy.

Try making something like that!

Hope this helps and can get you started
    :: Caleb Mingle (@dentafrice)
    :: PHP Developer.
    :: g+: http://gplus.to/mingle

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I thought I'ld be able to add some cons but those were covered to. So I'll do what I hate seeing in a forum (summaries)

Pros:
    No need to spend time programming routine functions
    Everything works according to how the CMS works
    Simplified for the non web designer (I.E. People can input data on site with no former knowledge of HTML)

Cons:
    Lost of individuality (I.E. customization is a pain the the butt)
    Some CMS work on one template; We use silva/zope and they have a template swap but I can't figure out how the darn thing works (So in this regard every page looks the same and its a pain to go and add special stylings just to one page)

BIG CONS:
    Say your CMS decides they can't CMS anymore (they go bankrupt)
    OR suppose you want to use a different CMS because the one you got isn't doing the job anymore

MIGRATION oh god.... I don't even want to think about MIGRATION because it gives me a MIGRAIN heh heh

I wouldn't recommend building one (from scratch at least) It all depends on what will be good enough for you or your client's needs.
    Please...Never describe anything to me using foo and bar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the previous replies, using a CMS definitely has its pros and cons.

Yes, customization is a pain in the butt, but once you learn how to extend the CMS, its not so bad... a CMS shouldnt limit you in terms of extending it.

I disagree with prince_mallow when he says that you shouldn't build your own. Personally, I believe its a great idea because it allows you to learn. Like many, I've built my own CMS (7 different ones until I was happy with the codebase), and learned more each time I did it.

If you really want a challenge and an excellent learning experience, try to rebuild Drupal without looking at its codebase. Personally, I'd start off with a framework such as CodeIgniter, CakePHP, Zend, etc... I prefer CodeIgniter because it has a low learning curve and great documentation. A frameowrk is an excellent starting point for an application.

If you want me to, I could write a basic "plan" to follow for developing a CMS.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simshaun View Post
    I disagree with prince_mallow when he says that you shouldn't build your own. Personally, I believe its a great idea because it allows you to learn.
    Your right, I should clarify

You should not build your own if you need it asap; for a client; by a deadline; when its the first one you create; (as in your relying on this CMS to be it)

But with ample time to continually create your own CMS to your desires (or the desires of others) then you can

I guess I wish to rephrase that to: One should build a CMS from scratch if the environment is secure enough in place for the productivity to be good... but then again that doesn't only apply to programming.

I keep reediting my saying now... "Just know what your throwing yourself into"

SimShaun's suggestion of a plan is right on.
    Please...Never describe anything to me using foo and bar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

wow tnx guys... I think I somewhat already develop a CMS on one of my projects.. Actually I stored all the site contents in a database and dynamically displayed them. It will allow the administrator to edit them whenever he/she wants to..

But i'm not sure, is that somewhat a CMS???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CMS is Content Management System.

Anything that allows you to edit your content is a CMS.
    There are literally TONS of CMS's out there. There's only a select few which are any good...