Thread: Guitarists

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Guitarists

OK Boys and Girls, quick and easy -
    We all have our "real lives" and plenty of us are musicians so uite simply....

Are you a guitarist and what type of music do you play?!

(just for fun and research )

Me, I play Blues, Rock from SRV to AC/DC and all points between
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a guitarist but my user id is based on two words put together by my fave artist.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yup, I play guitar (as you know )

I play mostly on my classical these days, tho' the electric has been known to see some action.

On the electric (and in my band) I played mostly heavy rhythmic stuff, metal or rock of sorts. And I was heavily influenced by Vai and Satriani for solo work. Vai for the zany wacky sounds and slick right hand work, and Satriani for the melody, and overall 'sound'.

But I'm a bit more eclectic on my own stuff. I don't play out-and-out blues, but of course that is an influence on pretty much anything guitar- and I like weaving jazz into solo playing too.

So well, then a departure from that back to classical. I used to play pieces from all over the historical music times, barouque, classical -definitely romantic- and even modern pieces. Mostly these days I focus on south american guitar music, mostly through the classical composers like Barrios & Villa-Lobos, but others more 'folk' based too. The rhythm is primarily my focus, has to be interesting there first before the melody can be employed. This is particularly important when playing guitar solo, even for electric players. The implied timing must be present - otherwise is it a free-for-all- solo-fest. That's fine, but there isn't any structure to give it meaning. The greatest blues players all had that 'timing' down, that's what makes it good music. Not the 'licks' or 'riffs' themselves.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd like to think I'm a musician who plays guitar and bass, not a guitarist. I've played in a few bands and met guitarists or drummers who are not musicians. Not being high and mighty here but rather more grumpy I guess with the recent instrumentalists I've played with.

I started off playing rock then progressed (if it is a progression!) on to Heavy/Death metal like Slayer, Sepultura, Iron Maiden, Overkill... and almost any other band Shawn of the Dead can name. Then.. gulp. wedding bands for the free booze and good money.. then alternative.. and now I like to fiddle with some Jazz/funk/blues and more acoustic.

Alright... I hand the baton, or the pick of destiny to DC.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a guitarist and a good singer too. I usually play religious songs, mellow sounding music and the likes. For me, guitar strumming is one best way to unwind and any stress easily fades out.

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conradical View Post
    I'd like to think I'm a musician who plays guitar and bass, not a guitarist. I've played in a few bands and met guitarists or drummers who are not musicians. Not being high and mighty here but rather more grumpy I guess with the recent instrumentalists I've played with.
    I know exactly what you mean.

Though I've yet to meet a pianist who isn't a musician.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a guitarist. At least, I like to tell people I am.

As of now I have three guitars, a nice Godin acoustic and two Fender Strats. My acoustic tends to get the most play as a lot of the songs I like to play are acoustic. At the moment I'm pretty big on James Morrison and Michelle Branch (new albums) so I've been hitting Ultimate Guitar and messing around with some of the tabs.

Oh, and I can't forget New Slang by The Shins. The first song I tabbed.

SitePoint Enthusiast WickedGoddess's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't call myself as guitarist since I only know how to play one song using it lol
    I can only be good in singing.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I won't call myself a guitarist, as i like to think of myself as a (hobby) musician

I currently owns 7 guitars, ranging from unknown to peavey, morgan, washburn and fender
    3 el guitars (6 strings)
    1 bass
    1 classical (nylon string)
    1 acoustic (steel string)
    1 1/3 sized classical guitar

and i play 'em all

I also own (and play) a drum kit, organ, roland G-800 arranger workstation, edirol midi keyboard, Harmonica in G and C, 2/3 sized cello (I'm no cello player yet but it's getting better ), jaw harp, 2 tambourines (one for mounting on hi-hat) etc... and some accessories to it.

I play mostly blues, rock, folk, ballads and pop

most of it is located on my 1st floor where i have built me a 516 sq feet (48m) hobby studio equipped with two pc studios running cubase and sonar + one Roland multitrack digital studio.

I love my moments down there, writing, jamming and dreaming
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^cool setup

SitePoint Member beinprofitmode's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I don't think of myself as a guitarist, but as a musician. I've played guitar for 8 years but my focus is really songwriting.

I was in an alternative rock band for 4 years as the lead singer and I played rhythm guitar in the later years. We were a band based out of Maine called Now Transmission.

I'm a pretty decent singer and songwriter, so now without the band I'm still pretty alternative rock but I rock out mostly with my acoustic.

Being able to work on my music is the main reason I got involved with IM.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    ^cool setup
    Thanks Andy

the pc's are set up with 3 and 4 gb ram, midi keyboards and M-audio Audiophile 2496 and M-audio 1010 soundcards.
    My pc's are connected to a 28 channels mixer and if i want i can record 54 tracks simultaneously, but with full control over each track, i can only record 18 tracks simultaneously.
    But its more than enought for my use .
    I seldom record more than 5-6 tracks simultaneously, and when I'm alone down there it's one or two tracks only
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to play quite a bit but time and other priorities have eaten up guitar time.

Plus, people are now only impressed with "Guitar Hero" playing... playing the actual thing doesn't matter anymore...

And though I've been playing the real thing for years I'm not exactly great at Guitar Hero... interesting how that game revived the guitar industry, though...
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a little jam by myself just about every day. I play the guitar but I've never put enough time into it to get good, plus I'm pretty much tone deaf so I would struggle to get good. I love playing reggae beats and just learning little riffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say I any good at it, it's just something to do with my hands when watching TV and relaxing.

I've got a (C-70) classical nylon string guitar.

Like Crowded House stuff as Neil Finn has a likely for some very funky cords lots of minor 7 and 6 which appeals to me and you can really mess with if you get bored of playing the song the way he wrote it.

Also anything Paul Kelly or Midnight Oil

WOW...Crazybanana that is a very nice selection washburn and all
    Catherine

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can't call myself guitarist but i do play guitar...

i usually played rock, pop and alternative musics...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I play purely for my own pleasure. I love my Hamer - a prototype from 1979 serial number 0253. Last year I got myself a black Gibson Flying V.

For me it's mainly about the gear, but I find the effect of cranking up the amp and thrashing out a solo to be very cathartic.
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revsorg View Post
    I play purely for my own pleasure. I love my Hamer - a prototype from 1979 serial number 0253. Last year I got myself a black Gibson Flying V.

For me it's mainly about the gear, but I find the effect of cranking up the amp and thrashing out a solo to be very cathartic.
    I had a Hamer duo tone... the best sounding duo tone i've ever played! A friend of mine worked for Hamer customising guitars for the big name bands and he had some of the best Hamers that I got to play with that I thought was pretty cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best guitar I've ever played was an old cherry red PRS McCarty. My friend gave it to me, then after a few years asked for it back and I was heartbroken.

I think the best Hamers are as good as PRS. They are what Gibsons would be, if they weren't churned out in such ludicrous quantities.
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been playing music for a long time. I play piano, guitar and saxophone well and I've played around with some other instruments for fun. Since I've moved to France all I've got is an acoustic guitar which I still play every day (or almost every day). I was in a band maybe 5 or 6 years ago but I actually played keyboard and saxophone, we were into jazz and blues. Although I'm more into rock these days. I have a Jackson JDR 94 sitting in my parents basement. I've been thinking of having it shipped over but for all the hassle I may just buy a new one here. I was recently looking at some Fender Strats. I almost bought one a few weeks ago but I decided to hold off for a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I play bass.
    I've started at high school. Then I had few years break.
    Now I've been playing in a band for about year and a half.
    We play what can be generally called rock music.
    I think it’s really great fun to play any instrument and especially in a band with other people.
    Warsaw - the city that survived its own death.
    EMM8 - Profesjonalne Strony Internetowe
    Projektowanie Stron WWW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope I'm not..but my sister is a good guitarist...
    she tried to tech how to play guitar I've learned the basic but I'm stock with the basic..lol
    I really don't why..I'm not improving its really hard for me to memorize the chords and the positioning of every fingers..*SIGHT*
    Professional Web Design and Development Co.
    Website | Graphic | Programming | SEO | Data Entry

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only play two songs using a guitar for now..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love guitar blues and SRV!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I play guitar for fun, I have an old Ibanez electric and Spyder Line 6. I really need a new guitar Not that great but its fun to play.