SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Wordpress Comments vs Intense Debate?

Hi,

I recently started a Wordpress blog and I've been playing around with the Intense Debate comment system.

This is what I'm thinking: on one side it adds features like threading, voting and centralized profiles on the other side it limits the amount of control you have over comments.

What are your thoughts and experiences with using a external comment system and specifically Intense Debate?

Thanks!
    50% Off iTunes > Get all your favorite music, movies and
    applications on iTunes for half price (and cheaper)!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't use it; but I will try now. In your playing time what can you share about it?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fatal flaw for Intense Debate is that it's all javascript. Your reader's comments don't get indexed in the search engines. Some might consider that good, but many times, it's the text of their comments that drives traffic.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bille View Post
    The fatal flaw for Intense Debate is that it's all javascript. Your reader's comments don't get indexed in the search engines. Some might consider that good, but many times, it's the text of their comments that drives traffic.
    I wouldn't use it myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't looked at Intense Debate too much but I really like commenting on Disqus. (I tried to install it on some of my WP blogs but the import feature wasn't working right)

Its a great way to keep track of multiple conversations in dozens of places, and there are some pretty cool sites that happen to be using it, too. If IntenseDebate and Disqus get into serious competition over the next year thats probably a good thing for bloggers.

The tech might not be ready for mainstream quite yet, but I think the concept of centralized comment networks will probably stick around.
    Website related links: Websitebuilding.biz, and Bookmarking
    College Stuff: FreeCollegeBlog.com - Financial Aid & Scholarships

SitePoint Enthusiast hullabaloo_bard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually really dont line the Int Deb coz it is messy. I love simple n neat comment section. It seems really confusing.....plus commentator need to log in first before they can leave comments

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen a couple of blogs that use intense debate, but I'm happy with how my comments are at the moment.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting how you have to enter all that info to get an account before getting to the download link for the plugin and how they then make the plugin link disappear before you can download it. Looks like it is just a big con job to rip off your email address in return for nothing.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">