SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sullenboy View Post
    Today is the last day of the 2008 and while it's been a year of downwards spirals for the U.S. economy the start of 2009 may take our economy to even further depths.. What are you bracing for as the new years kicks in ?

I am going to be bracing for the increase in crime where I live.. Things have been especially hard in NYC and have only been getting worst with the decline of the US economy and job cuts about to be in effect... thing's do not look good for the start of 09... Here comes the worse...
    Nice to see someone has their eyes WIDE open ... yes you are right, 2009 is not going to be a year we look back at in favor. Most people STILL don't get the fact the worst is yet to play out and folks 2009-2010 is going to prove my point!

There are trillions of dollars of bad debts and assets STILL to unwind (look into the REAL value of credit default swaps ... aka derivatives), there are trillions of dollars that have yet to be exposed as fraud and there are trillions of dollars the FED is pumping out 'out of thin air'.

I have spent two years studying economic 'waves' and influences and I am here to say we are in DEEP doo doo ..... don't believe me? Come talk to me this time next year.

The time now is to protect what you have, protect your assets and remove as much debt as possible .... then maybe you can survive the s**t storm that is coming!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree completely. Though I don't think people possess great powers of prediction, 2009 will likely see more loss and decline. To build everything back up... assuming we can build back up to previous levels... will take longer than destroying the economy... the old rule that it takes longer to create than destroy... I do not envy Obama his task... wheeeew....
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget about what's gone before we Rob Zombie's "Halloween 2" in '09, it's the end of civilisation after Baz's "Australia" ... there's no coming back folks we're all doomed
    www.scaryminds.com ScaryMinds - horror's last colonial outpost.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just all need to hope that the economy will become more stable this year..

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously we hope that, but few of us seem to believe that it'll actually happen. Quite the opposite in fact. I for one am concerned about the price of things in the UK rising astronomically while the pound loses its value.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess many businesses will shift to doing business on the internet(ecommerce) coz it's more cheaper...

Hope that happens so that I would be busy for the year!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tomorrow will be better, I just know.

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it won't. I think we all know that.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think that we all know that everything is going to be harder and thougher and yes, crime rates will increase. Still, it doesn't help a bit to be negative. It is going to be challenge, but there are also opportunities. People will have to be smarter and more efficient to make them work, but they are there.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like at KFC, two guys tried to rob us...through the drive through? Lol

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JsD2K View Post
    Just like at KFC, two guys tried to rob us...through the drive through? Lol
    What does a link to 3 yr old post about text editors have to do with anything?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I copied the wrong thing. Stupid Asus EEE Pc..lol meant to say this

yes, crime rates will increase.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will live this year as it ( bad or good)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that even though there are definite economic factors, it's important to remember how much is psychological. If everyone freezes up and is too frightened to do anything, it will just make things worse. The most important thing is that we all keep running our businesses and making our purchases, not stupidly of course, because if we stop operating out of fear instead of prudence it will make everything grind to a halt to a higher degree than otherwise would have occurred.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with hbpages - if we all freak out and stop running our businesses and making (necessary) purchases, things will get much worse. Yes, things are in bad shape. But remember that consumer spending is 2/3 of the economy (in the US, at least).
    Whatever is worth doing is worth over-doing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reflash View Post
    I agree with hbpages - if we all freak out and stop running our businesses and making (necessary) purchases, things will get much worse. Yes, things are in bad shape. But remember that consumer spending is 2/3 of the economy (in the US, at least).
    I totally agree with you, reflash. I know that consumer spending is more than 2/3 of the economy, but currently, we don't have enough money to help stimulate consumption, and credit is reduced by banks. People would not like to consume boldly under bad anticipation for future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our place, the job cuts are certainly there, many people are loosing their jobs and that is not good for the economy, we are affected a lot by the economy crisis in the U.S. I lost some of my students because they can't pay anymore, their parents lost their jobs, too. But I am hanging on....still crossing my fingers for a good year ahead....only positive outlook...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2009 will be a difficult year...we'll have to work harder than in the last years...more sacrifices to do, new restrictions to bare...but I'm convinced that this worldwide crisis will come to an end in 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Smith View Post
    I totally agree with you, reflash. I know that consumer spending is more than 2/3 of the economy, but currently, we don't have enough money to help stimulate consumption, and credit is reduced by banks. People would not like to consume boldly under bad anticipation for future.
    Yeah, I have to agree with you, Ted. It's hard to try to "stimulate the economy" when you're having trouble putting groceries on the table.
    Whatever is worth doing is worth over-doing...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing a lot better than I expected to at the beginning of the year. Nevertheless, I'm less optimistic than ever. The official unemployment rate is predicted to equal or exceed 10% by the end of the year, and virtually none of the primary problems behind the economic mess are being addressed.

I think the next holiday shopping season will be interesting.