SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Desktop memory card saving, please help me..

Hello real important, what are good and popular memory cards to save to from a windows desktop? Where data from the desktop computer can be saved to a memory card of some kind. Please let me know thank you very much for your help.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Memory Cards?

Like a USB Drive? Take your pick, price dictates what's good, spend more = bigger and faster, spend less = still works fine but slower and smaller.

Like a SSD? I'm thinking these ridiculously overpriced toys are not what you want. (soon, but not yet)

(semantically, a 'memory card' is RAM and nothing may be stored on it as it resets as soon as power is removed)
    Last edited by rushiku; Jan 1, 2009 at 07:18.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I know there are readers and writers that use USB that plug into a desktop.
    But I need some kind of memory card or stick that will save computer data from the desktop. Reason I need it is the memory card of some kind will then be inserted into a printer elsewhere to print what is needed. Anyone know of any that save data from a desktop like images and documents? Please let me know thank you very much for your help.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, you don't know what you want, but you know a USB Drive is not it?

Good luck with that.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really need some help it is a real important situation. I did say what I want and do know what I want. Said above I know there are memory cards or sticks and their readable writable units that use a USB to plug into a desktop which is what I need, something like that. Asking if anyone knows of any memory cards or similar that a desktop can save to doing that? That a desktop can save images or documents to, to a memory card of some kind, asking if anyone knows of any that a desktop can save to?

Please someone let me know thank you very much for your help.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Jen View Post
    Reason I need it is the memory card of some kind will then be inserted into a printer elsewhere to print what is needed.
    What type of memory card does your printer require?

Flash Memory & Readers page @ newegg

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for helping me really appreciate it a lot. The printer takes a lot of memory cards. Here's all of them the printer will take.

CompactFlash, Microdrive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, SD Memory Card, MultiMedia Card, MultiMedia Card Plus, SDHC Memory Card, xD-PictureCard (with adapter), xD-PictureCard Type M (with adapter), xD-PictureCard Type H (with adapter), Memory Stick Duo (with adapter), Memory Stick PRO Duo (with adapter), Memory Stick Micro (with adapter), RS-MMC (with adapter), miniSD Card (with adapter), microSD Card (with adapter), miniSDHC Card (with adapter), microSDHC Card (with adapter)

Wondering any popular ones a desktop computer can save some images and documents to, so then I can load them to the printer elsewhere.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good 1Jen, your printer will accept many different types of memory. You have many options for your printer.

Second question. What kind of memory cards can your desktop computer use? Do you have an internal card reader, or does it use a USB card reader?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks bob you're a real gem for trying to help really appreciate it very much.

The writer/reader for the memory card of some kind would need to attach to my desktop with a USB.

Because there is no internal memory card for hookup even though desktop is only couple years old, guess some desktops don't have internal ones yet. To a usb writer/reader need to save some images and documents to a memory card or stick of some kind. Just don't know what the decent ones are that desktops can save to. I've done a lot of searches for what desktops can save to and not getting any help. Even though sure seems like they would be able to since people need to carry data around from their computers, to other places for many reasons. I've been searching for information about what desktops can save to, and not finding information about that.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the main thing that you want to look for is to make sure that your new reader is USB 2.0, not the older USB 1. USB 2.0 reads and writes data much faster.

Another thing to keep in mind is make sure the card reader is able to handle memory cards from your digital camera, cell phone, etc. Many of these will accept different types of memory cards, so you just want to make sure that your reader will accept many different types... pretty standard these days.

A good place to get an idea on alot of computer/electronic device/stuff is NewEgg. You can see what other people who have already bought what you are looking for, say about the product. Below, I narrowed down a basic search like this:

Card Readers > Installation Type : External > Interface : USB 2.0

Here are the results, sorted by "Best Rating":

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...d&Order=RATING

You can see the ratings on the left side. The first one takes you to:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820308010

That one got pretty good ratings, and is very inexpensive.

Next, if you also need an actual memory card... it's the same process:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...e=Flash-Memory

Click the "Advanced Search", narrow down your search, find what exactly you're looking for, check owner responses...

If you don't want to order from NewEgg, at least you'll have a better idea of what you're looking for when you walk into a store.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot Bob, tried to send you some great links but couldn't private message you let me know if there is another way. Sounds like maybe you think most of those a desktop will be able to save some data to. It will take me some days but I'll look through those you listed real well. Thanks for the great newegg tip also maybe they'll be able to recommend something to me as well if I get stuck. At least I don't feel like I'm completely floundering around in the dark anymore not knowing what to do whatsoever
    thanks to you!! Thanks again very much.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are some memory sticks in which some of folders are already created when we purchase them... you just need to see is which of the folder is readable on your printer... the only thing you have to do is, which of the folder is getting readed on the printer, you have to save the material in that specific folder for printing..... thats all... Hope this helps you out....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much desktop memory is typically useful on Vista, with only light program usage (nothing intense like gaming or major video stuff)?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kingston Micro-SD Memory, SanDisk Ultra II CompactFlash, Kingston Secure Digital Memory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are different memory card adapters available in the market which use USB interface to connect. I have bought a Kingston micro SD card with that kind of adapter. Simply plug your micro sd card in that adapter and plug this adapter into USB interface of your desktop.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you not hook the printer directly to the desktop computer and avoid the memory card altogether?