SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joomla v Drupal Admin areas

Hi all - hope you had a lovely Christmas if that's your thing!

I'm spending this week shut away trying to learn stuff that I don't get a chance to look at during the normal working week.

I'm downloading Joomla and Drupal and having a play - seeing if I can reproduce one of my templates with a few extras in both and trying to learn along the way.

Up to now I've stuck to WordPress because it's simple and because I can produce clean coded sites with it. I understand that Joomla has improved to the point where this is now possible and I think that this has been possible with Drupal for some time - but Drupal's a bit scary!

My question (see there is one!) is that what is your opinions of the Admin Areas of both - given that simplicity is very important for the end user clients?

Last time I messed with Drupal it seemed to enjoy using terms such as taxonomy and nodes which most clients would just fail to understand.

So opinions please! Also - with either or both is there a plugin which simplifies the admin area for certain categories of user as there is with WP?

Thanks!
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Drupal still uses those terms in its admin area and there is also the cck which will also confuse some users. I do like it though and have found it not too much of a problem to take users through. Not sure if there is anything to make it easier for the user though but I doubt it. How much of it does the user need to understand once the site is set up though?
    http://www.glasys.co.uk
    Noli Illegitimi Carborundum

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the moment this is a purely hypothetical situation. But by past experience not a great deal - just adding content, possibly adding pages and assigning categories to content. Possibly managing adverts or polls for example.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just done a large drupal site for a client. The site admin was trained how to use the admin while the content editors could submit and edtior content only. This may it a little simpler to manage. Drupal is quite complex to learn for a user (and a developer)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Drupal a lot and I have never liked Joomla but that is just my preference.

Drupal has like 600 files and Joomla has like 3000,

Drupal is just laid out nice easy to navagate, Joomla has a layout that is just confusing to me.

I have to admit that Joomla is more user friendly to un experienced people, I think Drupal is layout for more for people with some basic coding experienced.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zipperz you may enjoy looking at SilverStripe, too.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big fan of Joomla. Personally i'm not a programmer, and it take time to learn Joomla for me. But now, my site bbamba.info is running with a lot of features and i'm also planning to ad a lot more in near future. Currently i can ad/edit the Registration fields, have a download management, user profile, and many more. Planning to set up a student forum in near future. Everything is controlled from one admin panel, in one platform.

I dont know Drupal, but i think regarding the extensions, Joomla is very rich. Almost everything is available, e.g. forum, ecommerce, listing/directory, community/social networking, and a lot more.

I'm happy with it.
    Last edited by r937; Mar 24, 2009 at 03:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joomla is the BEST now, bcoz of the community.