SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Central, PA - originally from Monterey, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

phpBB looks really good, what am I missing?

Hello all.

phpBB looks really good. I checked out the features it has, plus possible hacks.

What would I be sacrificing by going with phpBB verses vBulleton? It seems hard to tell them apart.

Is one faster, better feartures, ect?

Thanks in Advance:
    Worksdev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    phpbb is free.. but has lesser fuctions than VB.. I think it's up to the indivaul to whereas they what to pay for their board or get a free board that is just as good.. Look at my forum for example

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    virtually the same, IMHO, except vB is tons easier to modify and hack.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    virtually the same, IMHO, except vB is tons more expansive.

That's a bulldog skull... StateDOG's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the question is "Is vB's expansiveness and extra features really worth the $85/year or $160/lifetime fee?"

I guess it comes down to a personal decision. But I'm not so sure I'm ready to make the $85/160 plunge just yet on a site that probably wouldn't make me $$.

StateDOG
    Now Here........ Mississippi Sports Talk
    This is me blog... StateDOG.com

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    phpBB is very good. You aren't missing anything. vBulletin is also very good. In my opinion, slightly better overall than phpBB.

phpBB is a little harder to add hacks to. If you can follow directions and open files in notepad, you can install many, many hacks. Installation is very simple and phpBB has basically the same feature offering as vBulletin.

It doesn't matter which one you choose, as long as you choose one of them - it will be the Admin that makes the site.

vBulletin links:
    http://www.vbulletin.com
    http://www.vbulletin.org

phpBB links:
    http://www.phpbbhacks.com
    http://www.phpbb.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, there are also difference between admin options. PHPBB hasnt got good interactivity options when it comes to vbulletin .. its with the admin options and easiness to hack is why people like vBulletin more !!
    Peace.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not think vB is easier to hack, it is just the downloaded hacks are easier to install. Generally the template, code and language systems in phpBB are more flexible in my opinion.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I am used to vB since I had used it since their version 2 RC... IMHO the templates is much more easier to modify, not necessary to modify the PHP files itself for templates changes. While for phpBB you may need to edit the PHP files for templates changes.
    Reliable Web Hosting | NetAsia Solutions - One-stop Web solution

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about Invision Board, its faster than phpbb plus it has a full skining system (no editing php files).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IBF seems faster than vBulletin (less queries used), but I haven't tried out the skinning option yet.
    Personal amateur website: Sastan.com

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sastan
    IBF seems faster than vBulletin (less queries used), but I haven't tried out the skinning option yet.
    doesn't really matter how many queries are used. it's how fast and efficient each of those queries are.
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought vBulletin and was surprised how good it was, however for my new site I have to wait until the site picks up before I buy another license. So i'm trying phpBB and i can say that I really dislike it. It's soo hard to edit templates, there are few admin functions, everything is hard to find, and it's slower than vBulletin.

Just my opinion, but it's free so i only really expected this much, and it'll do me for a few months. By then, hopefully vBulletin will have a script to convert phpBB into vBulletin!

-Pete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by petesmc
    By then, hopefully vBulletin will have a script to convert phpBB into vBulletin!
    Doesn't it already?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames

Doesn't it already?
    Yes.
    -Jonathan
    Webmaster, The Aviation Forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's soo hard to edit templates, there are few admin functions, everything is hard to find, and it's slower than vBulletin.
    1. The template system used by phpBB is extremely powerful and easy to use. Most people who call it "hard to use" have barely glanced at it. It requires no programming skills, just some basic HTML coding knowledge. I've never seen anything that compares to it. The vB template system with custom code snippets is inferior to phpBB's template system.

2. Hard to find. Yes, you might have a point there. But it's also about getting used to it. I learnt it in a few minutes. Give it a fair chance and you'll understand how it works.

3. I doubt phpBB is slower than vBulletin. I know of people who have swapped from vB to phpBB and decreased CPU load. Now, vB has more feature so that kind of comparisons aren't fair but just because something is free doesn't make it worse than other products.

phpBB is an excellent forum solution that can compete with commercial solutions, both what price and features are concerned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using for a few months now, and I still find everything hard to find. The admin area is unorganised. They really need to fix that up. The template system has the same power has vB but vB's is still much easier to use since it is web based, so no uploading is require.

With a vB solution with all features on (you can turn lots off) i'd say it is slower than phpBB, but otherwise i think it is faster. I can't say that for an absolute fact because i haven't benchmarked them yet.

-Peter

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO phpBB will have to come out with a new version soon with the speed Invision Board is coming! It just released v1 and already v1.1 is being worked on adding a load of new features.

I think when Matt takes a break from coding Invision Board it will be on par with vB3 when it comes out (trust me I know more than most )

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think InVision is going to overtake phpBB sooner or later. I downloaded and installed it....smooth as silk, very nice control panel with lots of nice features that phpBB doesn't have.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

forum software in spanish

How about a forum software (written in PHP and free of course) that has a spanish language pack? I noticed Invision Board had dutch, deutsch, and french but no spanish.
    Used to prefer PHP.
    Now I prefer Maya but stuck with PHP
    bruji.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Buztin
    I think when Matt takes a break from coding Invision Board it will be on par with vB3 when it comes out (trust me I know more than most )
    Maybe but really doubtful.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really rude too say. Just because something is free doesn't make it bad. As a matter of fact, Invision has full time programmers working on it according to the info on the site.

Anyway, pata, I think phpBB has a spanish language pack, I can probably guarentee it does. If not, both InVision and phpBB make it easy to create your own. Providing you know Spanish that is..lol.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by sullise
    That's really rude too say. Just because something is free doesn't make it bad. As a matter of fact, Invision has full time programmers working on it according to the info on the site.

Anyway, pata, I think phpBB has a spanish language pack, I can probably guarentee it does. If not, both InVision and phpBB make it easy to create your own. Providing you know Spanish that is..lol.
    It was about his comment of knowledge on what vB3 contains. Not about Invision Board.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------