SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

constantly restarting

My computer constantly keeps restarting... No matter am I using Photoshop, or am I surfing the web, or just listening to MP3s.
    I do have an ancient computer (the correct configuration is further down), and I think it could be the power supply.

Configuration (now, don't laugh... I'm soon gonna get a better one ):
    Pentium 233MHz, 128MB RAM, 1x 2.1GB WD Caviar 22000 Disk (secondary) and 1x Samsung 3.5GB disk (primary), CDROM 52x, power supply: 200W
    (it may look poor, but what this baby lived with me... it's great... )

I am currently using Windows 2000. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks.
    zweistein.web - tips&tricks for webmasters, music, programming, computers, Python, etc. new!!! English version, too!
    email | ICQ: 161202879 | AIM: zweistein2169

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it just doing a warm restart (ie the proper way) or is it actually just cutting out totally?

Usually your power supply wont last very long if it is the problem (I'm not sure it is though).

Is your power cord plugged in firmly at both ends?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember now, but I'll let you know when I find out .
    I checked the power cords, but they are OK.

BTW, when it restarts, sometimes it doesn't detect the primary disk (Samsung 3.5GB), and it won't boot at all...

Help!
    zweistein.web - tips&tricks for webmasters, music, programming, computers, Python, etc. new!!! English version, too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmm, what about your BIOS battery.. ever replaced it?
    I'm just fumbling for answers at the moment...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by platinum
    mmm, what about your BIOS battery.. ever replaced it?
    I'm just fumbling for answers at the moment...
    Yep, replaced it 2 moths ago.

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are all your fans working properly?

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by seanf
    Are all your fans working properly?

Sean
    Of course .

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it just switch itself off and back on? No warnings, no blue screens?

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do get a blue screen, but all I get is:
    ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
    etc.

And my fan IS working properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, sorry, I didn't understand the question properly... It just does a clean, full restart (incl. the memory check), and then it doesn't detect the primary master disk...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be bad ram. We had a computer that did this and the RAM was the culprit. Power supply is also a possibility. A third thing could be that your samsung drive is dying and one of the corrupted sectors has part of Windows on it. My FIL's computer (celeron 466 with a samsung drive, coincidentally enough) just had this problem. He ignored the force reboots and just kept using it...about 2 weeks later, he called and said it was making a "funny noise" like "click click click" and then it would shut down and occasionally it would take 3 or 4 starts before it could find the hard drive. Finally, on Friday, it wouldn't start at all..."hard disc not found". We did get it to start up finally and heard the "click". It was a head crash on the hard disk. He's the proud owner of a new 30 gb drive (and while we were in there we upgraded his RAM to 196.) If you have some spare ram laying around, switch it out and see if that fixes the problem, but with the sound of it (with it not finding that samsung drive occasionally), I'd start backing up now and prepare to get a new hard drive.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you get any odd beeping when the computer starts? Sometimes this is a way for the mb to send you a message. Can you go into the bios and find the HD?...if so when you load the hd into the bios and it reboots does it loose the setting?...
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Susan
    It could be bad ram. We had a computer that did this and the RAM was the culprit. Power supply is also a possibility. A third thing could be that your samsung drive is dying and one of the corrupted sectors has part of Windows on it. My FIL's computer (celeron 466 with a samsung drive, coincidentally enough) just had this problem. He ignored the force reboots and just kept using it...about 2 weeks later, he called and said it was making a "funny noise" like "click click click" and then it would shut down and occasionally it would take 3 or 4 starts before it could find the hard drive. Finally, on Friday, it wouldn't start at all..."hard disc not found". We did get it to start up finally and heard the "click". It was a head crash on the hard disk. He's the proud owner of a new 30 gb drive (and while we were in there we upgraded his RAM to 196.) If you have some spare ram laying around, switch it out and see if that fixes the problem, but with the sound of it (with it not finding that samsung drive occasionally), I'd start backing up now and prepare to get a new hard drive.
    Thanks, I'll try the RAM thing .

Originally posted by Maelstrom
    Do you get any odd beeping when the computer starts? Sometimes this is a way for the mb to send you a message. Can you go into the bios and find the HD?...if so when you load the hd into the bios and it reboots does it loose the setting?...
    Don't know, the next time it does it, I'll try to go into BIOS and do an auto-detect.