SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would I make this?

First off I am not sure if this is the right section or not. If it isn't then I am sorry. I am new here and trying to get used to the forum layout.

Ok without giving too much information about what I am trying to make I will try to explain what I want to do with the site. Maybe someone could tell me what would be the best way to do this.

Ok I want to make a site where vendors can post their inventory. A user can do a search and the site will pull up a list of every vendor that currently has that specific item in stock. Also at the same time pull up information on that item from the main site. Maybe add a place when the user searches for their zip code that way it shows places local to them that carry the item. But also in the results show a list of local places but separately have it show other vendors that also ship, but show local first. Also only show the ones in stock, so there would have to be an option for the vendor to show availability. Also a 5 star rating on the vendors along with reviews.

Also might want to make it member based with an attached forum.

Did any of this make sense? Anyway if it didn't I will try to clear it up a bit. But I don't want to be too exact with the details since this is the only site like this in the niche I am working on.

What web language should this be written in? PHP? html? etc

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, every website is coded in HTML. This is how the browser reads the page. You need a MySQL database as soon as you start adding things that involve storing, saving, searching, etc. Alongside of that, to access, display and edit the information in the database, you need a server side code such as PHP or ASP.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is something like I described going to be hard to make do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HTML is the easiest for what you need... learn that and do what you want for now.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will take you a bit of time to learn what you need. Your question of hardness is in the eye of the beholder, however, keep in mind people make livings making sites of less sophistication than what you described.

You can certainly learn what you need to know as you go along, however when your done you'll be well on your way to having a new skill set for a new profession :-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learning web design is on my list of things to do. But I have been looking for a unique idea for quiet some time now. Now that I have come up with it I think I am going to hire someone to code the site for me. I just wanted to get a general idea of what a site like this would need and how it would be made. I also posted this post on another forum as well. This is the reply I got on that forum.

I think I understand what you want to do. I would use PHP and MySQL, but it's possible in ASP(.NET) with a database - but if you're not sure (and if you already know it) go with PHP.

You'll need a number of tables in your database - locations (zip codes, etc), vendors (with their location in), and maybe (depending on the amount of data your MySQL database can hold), have a table per vendor, e.g. tbl_Vendor1

In that table you could have all the items in stock.
    So if I am understanding correctly all the information would have to be put into a sql database. Then when the user searches it would pull the information from there. So in other words the site is mainly based around sql?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SQL db is where your information is stored yes. However only a small amount of time will go into your db creation (half hour of designing layout and actually creating them, very easy). Most / all of your time will be spent writing the code / queries to access that database with the correct functions.
    ex. to create a new item to be shown in stock, you'd have a simple query of something like "INSERT INTO table_name (prod_id, prod_name, prod_price) VALUES ('$id', '$name', '$price')"

The $ values are variables. It grabs dynamic data that the user / your programs inputs from php / asp. So the action of saving / grabbing data is done actually just in about 5 lines of code, while the rest of whats required to do what you want may take a couple hundred lines of php.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kyle gave you very good answers. Nothing else to add here :d

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would begin learning web design by first mastering HTML and CSS. Then, learn PHP. After that, learn MySQL.
    Basically, you'll want to master the L.A.M.P technologies (Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL).
    It will definitely take time and a lot of hard work. But once you've got it, it's very rewarding.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BransonPro View Post
    I would begin learning web design by first mastering HTML and CSS. Then, learn PHP. After that, learn MySQL.
    Basically, you'll want to master the L.A.M.P technologies (Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL).
    that's a classic non-sequitur

i can agree with you up to this point --

1. learn web design, mastering HTML and CSS
    2. learn PHP
    3. learn MySQL

but then you take a hugely irrelevant detour into left field

what's wrong with using the platform that one is comfortable on?

for most people, this would be Windows, not Linux

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    that's a classic non-sequitur

i can agree with you up to this point --

1. learn web design, mastering HTML and CSS
    2. learn PHP
    3. learn MySQL

but then you take a hugely irrelevant detour into left field

what's wrong with using the platform that one is comfortable on?

for most people, this would be Windows, not Linux

Well, r937 I guess it's a matter of personal choice or preference. Why choose an SUV after you've been driving a mini van? Why switch from Pepsi to Coke? I know those are not the best analogies in the world to use, but I don't know of another way.
    Speaking for myself personally, I prefer LAMP over MS becuase I'm a huge fan of the open-source movement. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the underdogs.
    Please don't get me wrong - I respect you and your opinion. But I'll recommend LAMP over MS any day of the week.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BransonPro View Post
    But I'll recommend LAMP over MS any day of the week.
    if you were making the recommendation to someone who had never used a computer before--or had used one with a third operating system, and now had to learn a new operating system--then i'd probably agree with you

but to recommend learning linux to someone who is fully competent in windows, and who wants only to concentrate on publishing web sites...

... that's just silly

no offence to you personally, of course

rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps I should have made myself clear from the beginning. When I mentioned Linux and the LAMP technology, I wasn't referring to the desktop distribution operating system versions. I was referring to the server OS. Meaning, I prefer to use Linux and Apache vs. MS Server and IIS.
    PHP and MySQL, in my opinion, are just as stable as .NET and MS SQL technology.
    I wasn't recommending anyone to go out and learn Red Hat or Suse Linux.
    I apologize for not being clear.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    why would i need to learn the operating system that my web host uses?

what if my web host uses Windows Server 2003 with Microsoft-IIS/6.0 (which it does)

or are you suggesting that i should now host my own sites? if so, why?

this is getting curiouser and curiouser...

rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need to learn the OS that your server uses - you need to learn how to develop with it, though.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's possible to use any .NET technology on a Linux server.
    Or can it be done? Will IIS let you run MySQL?
    I also think any web developer that is going to be doing a large number of projects should invest in a dedicated or VPS server solution. Why? Becuase it will be beneficial in the long run and you'll be able to sell your clients one of your own hosting plans.
    I've only been doing web development for 6 years now. So, please educate me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should always be familiar with the operating system/software your host uses (even on a shared server) but learning (X)HTML/CSS/PHP/SQL should be a higher priority for him. It's actually not that hard of an application, basic PHP/SQL knowledge would suffice unless I misunderstood.

It's not as hard as it seems, either - I just noticed how daunting listing all these acronyms must look.

Anywho, all this arguing has probably just confused the OP, I'd bet he's already said to hell with this place.